It's Magical!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications

Old August 17th, 2010, 04:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

It's Magical!!!

Recently, while looking at different options for mounting my LCD monitor onto my jib, I decided to go with Manfrotto's "Magic Arm". I received it in the mail a few days ago and am more than satisfied with my purchase. (FWIW: I bought the kit that comes with the arm, the super clamp, the wedge to use the clamp with flat surfaces, the backlight stand, and the part with the mounting thread).
After just a few minutes of playing around with it, my mind started racing at all the possibilities other than the purpose which I had originally assigned to it. I'm aware of some of it's more common uses, but my question for you guys is what are some of the less obvious uses for such a device? What have you guys used your Magic Arms for?

Laugh at my excitement if you will :P, but the fact remains that I am a man, and as most men do, I love my gadgets! You should have seen the look on my girlfriend's face when I tried to explain my excitement over what amounts to a clamp attached to some metal pipe!
Old September 5th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Major Player

I have two magic arms, one variable and one normal locking. On a shoot last week we mounted both to the two sides of a wheelchair, and joined them both up in the center holding a camera head so we could have a camera trained at the talent as he navigated his chair. I reckon thats a bit unusual.

In the end it was still too bumpy so I ended up putting putting the talent on top of a doorway dolly. oh well.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

How do you like your ProAm Crane? I've heard mixed reviews. My guess is that with enough practice and patience you can get some usuable footy.
Evan Lloyd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications