Longer QR plate mounting bolt? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 14th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Longer QR plate mounting bolt?

Do they make different length bolts that are still have the notch between the head and threads? I want to mounth a side bracket with a manfrotto QR plate under that, but it seems the only way to do it is to A.) drill a hole through the slot on both qr plate and side brack to account for the width of a non-notched bolt...or B.) use the adapter bolt that came with the side bracket to bolt the side bracket on. Then, bolt the QR plate to that. I tried that, but it raised the camera up another 3/4" and doesnt stay tight because of the small contact area.
Eric Aumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Longer QR plate mounting bolt?

Yes. I've seen them. Search on "1/4-20 mounting screw" to start. I'm not sure what you want to do is very good but sometimes you just need to try ideas out and move on from there.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I am trying to avoid a rail system, but be able to mount my senn and zoom audio gear on camera. I rely heavily on the manfrotto video monopod, and I would like to keep things light. Here is the bracket I am talking about: SIMA VIDEO BRACKET WITH 2 FLASH MOUNTS | eBay
Maybe I would be better with a hotshoe mounted bracket, but that side bracket would give me 3 mounts including the camera hot shoe.
Eric Aumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 11:20 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi, Eric................

Making a bespoke notched bolt is a doddle, if you have an electric drill and a flat metal file to hand.

A drill stand or vice comes in REAL handy as well and a hacksaw too if the bolt needs shortening..

Buy your bolt - 1/4" X 20, any length you like.

Stick threaded shank in drill chuck and tighten gently, leaving about 1/4" of thread showing.

Either: put drill in drill stand and use flat thin edge of metal file to simply file off unwanted thread OR put file in vice and use ditto.

You now have a notched bolt.

Experiment to get correct length, cut bolt to suit and use file to clean up end thread.

The above said, I wouldn't recommend it with your proposed configuration, it's putting a heck of a strain on the retaining socket of the camera AND is leaving the camera perched on that narrow metal bar of the bracket, which means it's going to rock badly.

I would strongly recommend you find another solution.

A search of DVinfo will turn up all sorts of different options.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

That is an awesome idea for the bolt. I also see your point about the camera support. I am going to look into other options. Thanks for the input!
Eric Aumen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications