Camera Eyewear for Steadicam and Jib Operators at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 13th, 2005, 01:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera Eyewear for Steadicam and Jib Operators

Eyewear Info
http://parts.rctoys.com/rc-toys-hobbies/Items/329761

http://parts.rctoys.com/rc-toys-hobbies/Items/329763
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 08:42 AM   #2
Regular Crew

uneven floor

When someone is operating a steadicam he or she is looking at the monitor
on the bottom of the sled. The reason for that is because you also want
to look at the path you are crossing. But if you buy one and use it with a
body stabilizer let me know if it works.
Alexandre Lucena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 11:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Both eyes can use periferral vision to watch the terrain but this type of device has just one monitor so the other eye is able to see the surroundings clearly. If there were two monitors, I bet it would be hard to concentrate where you are walking.
Old October 13th, 2005, 12:15 PM   #4
Wrangler

Eyeglass monitors have been attempted with Steadicam for many years, through various iterations. The older ones blocked too much of one's regular vision to be useful; these late model ones have more of a chance. Alexandre, the idea is that if you want to look down the image will appear exactly where the hard-mounted monitor would have been, but if you need to glance behind you to see where you are walking, you still get to keep an eye on framing.

I've never tried these myself, but I know that others have found them interesting but ultimately a bit confusing. Probably someone who hasn't spent years getting used to working with a traditional setup would have an easier time making the transition.

Probably worth noting from a historical perception that the Steadicam prototype circa 1973 incorporated a fiber optic viewfinder essentially glued onto the operator's eye (this being just pre-video assist)--this meant that each eye had an entirely different field of view and it was hard to differentiate which one was the camera etc., plus a bit nauseating!

Pix of same:

http://www.steadicamforum.com/forums...?showtopic=196
Old October 13th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have seen those pictures before but I do like seeing the early beginnings of products that turn out to be revolutionary in an industry no matter what it is. It really gives the latest generation of the successful product alot of respect. That headset he is wearing looks like what an ENT (ear, nose & throat) doctor wears! As if we don't get enough odd stares with the body rig alone these days.

I remember seeing moving video of Garrett wearing that same thing but he was running with it down a golf course fairway. It was in the history montage of the promo video for the JR when it was first released.
Old October 14th, 2005, 05:16 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Interesting

I am figuring out a way to fit the antenna and transmiter nice and neat on the sled.
BTW, do you know how much they cost?

P.S It might be the case to take some pils on the first day.
Alexandre Lucena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 05:27 PM   #7
MicroDolly Hollywood

Eyeglasses Kit

That's very similar to the product that we sell at MICRODOLLY:

http://www.microdolly.com/videoglasses.html

The glasses are great for framing a shot with the Jib or a remote Pan/Tilt head.

I haven't tried them with any steadicam devices yet.

Tim
Old October 15th, 2005, 08:53 AM   #8
Major Player

I tried the kind that completely block your vision with my stabilizer and almost killed myself. I don't think I'd use them for jib work either. Too easy to bonk somebody in the head. But these seem quite different; am I correct in assuming you can also see the "real world" as well as the image?

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Dan Selakovich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications