Car Mount for HVX200? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 8th, 2006, 10:23 PM   #16
Go Go Godzilla

Digging deeper

In doing my infamous due-diligence I learned a significant difference between the FilmTools Gripper system and the DvCarRig:

The Gripper system uses *vacuum* cups; the DvCarRig and similar items use simple *suction* cups - there's a huge difference in design and capabilities: Vacuum cups have a built-in hand pump that actually evacuates the air inside the cup making a much more secure mount. Suction cups require that you push down to literally force the air out of the cup.

The two major problems with simple suction cups are; 1) You can't completely get all the air out of a suction cup by simply pushing/squishing it down. There will always be some air left behind making for a not-so-strong connection. 2) By having to push down to get suction (and there might be time you have to push hard) you could easily deform or dent the thin sheet metal car doors and hoods are made of. That's not an appealing possibility, nor is it a smart design choice for a rig that's supposed to be used on passenger cars, not tanks! (laughs)

A FilmTools gripper system with a 3-point vacuum mount is more than double the cost of the DvCarRig and others that use simple suction cup devices however, it's well worth the extra money to have a stronger, more secure mount for anything that's car-exterior related.

Thanks for the tip, Mike. I *might* use the Gripper system in NM.
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:47 PM   #17
Major Player

I did not know the DV rig only used suction cups....
Yes the gripper system does have a little pump...
Once you pump out the air it is very hard to
pull it off. To release it you put a finger nail
under the cup to release the suction....
Old November 9th, 2006, 07:50 AM   #18
DV Rig Pro

Dv CarRig

The DvCarRig is using safty straps for holding the rig to the car body. The suction cups are only used for the initial set up of the rig.

You can read more about the DVCarRig Manual in our site www.dvtec.tv

Some cars have very thin tin bodies and in all bodies some areas are loose
and a suction or vacum rigs will shake.

When using the starps you are avoiding all body, scratches or dents problems
and the rig is scured safe and stable on any car and in any position.

...More in the manual...

Jacob Ben Zur
DvTec

Last edited by Danny Natovich; November 10th, 2006 at 02:06 AM.
Danny Natovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #19
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Natovich
The DvCarRig is using safty straps for holding the rig to the car body...
Jakob/Danny (What's your real name?)

Won't the strap hooks themselves scratch the edges of whatever they're hooked onto or, cause the thin sheet metal to bend upwards when properly cinched down?
Old November 10th, 2006, 02:12 AM   #20
DV Rig Pro

This is Jacob, I am amswering for Danny, He is not available.

The hooks will not damage the edges, rims of the body parts. a section of the strap is used to pad the hooks. see the manual.

This system is widly used for bike racks and is safe and leagal.

Jacob.
Old March 4th, 2007, 04:10 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Hi guys

I just update this thread to let you know that finally, a simple vacuum pump can be enough for a HVX200 even in the worst case scenario... like donuts with a car ;)

This morning I was testing drive the Mazda RX8 MSpeed (MazdaSpeed) a Tuned version of the regular RX8 and while we were shooting some video for our website I was willing to sacrifice my HVX200 to check if a 10cm (around) vacuum pump will be enough for my regular Driving... (the wild one) anyway... we plug the camera on the passenger door (We are in Japan so left side), and I ask my colleague to just "hold" the camera with one hands just in case.... here you are the result (720p30n in DivX)

http://gagay.free.fr/nk3/RX8.avi

DVCarRig and other solution like this are indeed quite nice but too much expensive for what they are (no offense to anyone) with 3 or 4 vacuum pump and some spare time you can easily make something similar or better and save a LOT of money...

Cheers !

EDIT, I used vacuum pump and not suction pumps, sorry for my bad english

Last edited by Gonzague Alexandre; March 4th, 2007 at 07:33 AM.
Gonzague Alexandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #22
DV Rig Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzague Alexandre View Post
DVCarRig and other solution like this are indeed quite nice but too much expensive for what they are (no offense to anyone) with 3 or 4 vacuum pump and some spare time you can easily make something similar or better and save a LOT of money...

Cheers !

EDIT, I used vacuum pump and not suction pumps, sorry for my bad english
Nice driving, and nice shoot with no SFX smoke...

For shoots like this you really don't need much of a car rig...

But what if you need to shoot a pasangers or drivers close up while driving, Or a profile two shoot of two people in the front seats ? (Properly framed). Or a higher or more distant camera position. The DvCarRig alows very accurate framing of any part of the car or the action inside the car, and versatile camera positioning, with the windows closed or open and is not preventing the doors from being used for actors entery and access.
Old March 4th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Natovich View Post
Nice driving, and nice shoot with no SFX smoke...

For shoots like this you really don't need much of a car rig...

But what if you need to shoot a pasangers or drivers close up while driving, Or a profile two shoot of two people in the front seats ? (Properly framed). Or a higher or more distant camera position. The DvCarRig alows very accurate framing of any part of the car or the action inside the car, and versatile camera positioning, with the windows closed or open and is not preventing the doors from being used for actors entery and access.
True if I want a better position I need something else, but I am building up my own solution now based on my needs, but then again I am coming to a quite cheap final product... will let you know once done and explain how to make it...

Cheers
Gonzague Alexandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #24
Regular Crew

I've used a Manfrotto vacuum cup with a pump. I know it have been used with a 2,5" camera (around 12 kg/26,5 lbs) on an ambulance that was going 180km/t (112mph) without problems.

I used it with a DVX100 (we're waiting for a big HVX order to replace our DVX's) on the hood and rooftop, but I haven't daired putting it on the door yet. Maybe I should try that out!

I can't remember the modelnumber, but if you want I can find it tommorow, when I get to work.
Thomas Hartz-Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Hartz-Olsson View Post
I've used a Manfrotto vacuum cup with a pump. I know it have been used with a 2,5" camera (around 12 kg/26,5 lbs) on an ambulance that was going 180km/t (112mph) without problems.

I used it with a DVX100 (we're waiting for a big HVX order to replace our DVX's) on the hood and rooftop, but I haven't daired putting it on the door yet. Maybe I should try that out!

I can't remember the modelnumber, but if you want I can find it tommorow, when I get to work.
Yepp just in case send it over, I personally use this model

http://www.powrgrip.com/cgi-bin/powr...lass=equipment
Gonzague Alexandre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications