First week with the Steadicam Merlin and 'Z1' at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 29th, 2007, 04:07 AM   #1
Major Player

First week with the Steadicam Merlin and 'Z1'

About a week ago I received my Steadicam and I want to show some of the footage I captured with it so far. Nothing special, just a short video filmed in Breukelen and Maarssen (the Netherlands):

http://www.derran.nl/steadicam/
Or watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHEWjBl4_6M

Before I received the Steadicam I was really glad I could watch some footage taken with the Merlin on this forum. So I thought I would return the favor.

I use the Sony Z1 camera on the Merlin and I think it works great. It's fun filming with it and when you see the result on your screen it really looks amazing. While watching the footage you can really see the 'magic' this product produces. I didn't had much problems to get it balanced, although it was to much bottom heavy the first day (I thought it was a good idea to balance from scratch).

I now have a UV-filter and NP-F570 battery on the camera this keeps the camera light and I only need 5 mid weights on the Merlin and of course all the start and finish weights. Also the Steadicam bag that arrived from B&H is great! It is a great accessory for the Merlin, I wouldn't leave home without it.

I did run into a small problem with the merlin. I think the gimbal might be 'broke'. If I hold the grip at certain angles the gimbal 'clicks' (it seems to have a bit of room to move). Next week I will go to the IBC in Amsterdam where Tiffen will have a look at the Merlin to see what the problem is. They have given me great support so far and I'm certain this problem will be solved.
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #2
Major Player

Good looking stuff, thanks for posting that Derran!

Bring your Merlin to IBC with you if you can. :)

- Mikko
Old August 29th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #3
Trustee

Great footage;
that's it! I'm getting one!,
Thanks for sharing ;-)
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 02:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Glad I could help you decide Buba! You won't regret your decision. :) And I'm looking forward of seeing some of your footage when your Steadicam has arrived.

Mikko, are you going to IBC too? I will try to go on Saturday, perhaps I will see you there. BTW, cool pictures and video's you have on your website!
Old August 30th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #5
Trustee

That's great Derran,
I think you have just made me wanna buy the Z1.
Did you do any color correction?
Did you recored in 1080i and down convert in camera?
And has the UV-filter made a difference to your footage.
One last question.
What NLE did you use?

Regards
Simon
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 03:19 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derran Rootring View Post
Mikko, are you going to IBC too? I will try to go on Saturday, perhaps I will see you there. BTW, cool pictures and video's you have on your website!
Thanks! :)
And yes, I'll be at IBC all week as normal.

- Mikko
Old August 30th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Simon nice to here you like the footage! In the picture profile of the camera I have given the color level "+5". This is a setting I use when I also want to place the footage on the internet because of the color loss when encoding. That is the only color correction that I use. I also have CinemaTone 'Type 1' on, to reduce the bright (white) areas in the picture.

Yes, I recorded in 1080i and let the camera down convert when importing the footage into Avid Xpress Pro HD. On my monitor the footage always looks amazing. I bought the Z1 as second (backup) camera, but it is rapidly becoming the 1st. Especially in combination with the Merlin. :) I can't really tell if the UV filter really makes a difference, but I like to keep it on the camera to protect the lens at all times. The only thing I would like to change, is that when recording in DVcam mode I can't use the all-scan mode. You can only use it in HDV recording.
Old September 13th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #8
Major Player

Merlin Arm and Vest System

Last Saturday I went to see Tiffen at IBC and I also brought my Merlin and Z1 camera with me. After they had fixed the problem (by replacing the gimbal) I had a change of flying my Merlin setup on the new arm and vest system! You can see a short vid of it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV5zICbjNds

I have been flying with it for about 15 or 20 minutes and you can't feel the weight at all. I've only had about a week of practice with the Merlin and it felt almost natural filming with the arm and vest for the first time. I could have walked home with it. :)
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)