Steadicam Pilot instead of a tripod? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old October 25th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #16
Wrangler

Not to beat a dead horse('s mouth), but I should clarify--it's not so much that half of the shots I do consist entirely of lockoffs, but that half of the time within shots I am doing lockoffs and the rest moving.
Old October 25th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #17
Regular Crew

The A1 and the pilot just don't have enough mass to do a 300mm lock off for much more time than you can hold your breath, and that's provided you have your trim set so you don't have to put any pressure on the post. Lock-offs are one of the times you wish you had a 50lb rig and a back mounted vest.

The other option that isn't as good as a tripod, but better than trying a three minute lock off is to use the balance peg of the Steadi-Stand. This will eliminate the vertical motion of the arm and make long lock offs easier. You also won't have to dis-connect/re-connect the monitor/battery. This is pretty important since having to do something 'quickly' at a wedding can mean you have ten seconds. Pop it off the stand and on to your arm and you're mobile again.
E.J. Sadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #18
Major Player

It was a reduced price at the show, as you would have saved the VAT. But Danny does free worldwide shipping from his site I believe.

I'm not a dealer, I just went along to help out.

Duncan.
Duncan Craig is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)