Flying the new sony PMW-EX1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 13th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Shem View Post
The metal gimbal can support up to 7.5. But is the weights plates heavy enough to support and balance that?
Given that there's only 6 mid weights to play around, I find it hard to balance my A1, with a wide angle lens and phantom powered mic. I think the total weight is nowhere near 7 lbs.
It is always top heavy even after opening the arc to the widest and adjusting the guide ring to be most bottom heavy. I'm using 1 start and mid weight at the middle, and also 1 start, 1 finish, 5 mid at the bottom.
When I upgraded I received an extra 2 midweights. Also since you have added more weight to the camera maybe you dont need the mid weight at the middle.

Last edited by Nick Tsamandanis; November 13th, 2007 at 07:39 AM.
Nick Tsamandanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Thompson View Post
Stu,

What HD camera is there that is as good or better than the Z1 in the low light department? I know my 2100 is better but it isn't an HD camera.
Well the XHA1 is probably about the same as the Z1 or maybe a tad better.

But going back to the EX1, i have read that it is really quite significantly better in lowlight than the FX1/Z1. This should be no great surprise i think due to the new Exmor 1/2in sensors for one thing (ingoring other DSP aspects etc). Time will tell i guess as people get hold of production models but my guess is that the Ex1 will finally provide a HD cam that gives lowlight ability that is somewhere in the ballpark of the legendary (SD of course) VX2100/PD170. Not saying it will necessarily be quite as good, but i think maybe in the same ballpark.

Last edited by Stu Holmes; November 13th, 2007 at 11:24 AM. Reason: typo
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #18
Major Player

Stu,

Hurry up and buy one so you can tell us how well it works (I'm pretty free with money).

I'll keep my Z1 for the time being until the word comes out.

Tery
Indicam

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 04:12 AM   #19
New Boot

Now that the EX is out in the market has anyone flown theirs?

Our studio is getting them in the next few weeks so i'll be interested in hearing anyone else's experiences with them.....from a stabiliser point of view that is. There are many other threads out there with in-depth discussion into the pro's and con's of the camera and ccd's etc
Rob Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 07:29 AM   #20
Major Player

I fly my ex1 on a merlin with vest/arm and it works nicely. I think it actually flys better than the z1.... and of coarse the image is better.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #21
Trustee

any photos for the rig? Interesting to see the EX1 on a merlin setup. I tried the merlin with a XH-A1 and felt that the Z1 would be a little too heavy for it..
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 07:15 AM   #22
Major Player

I've been meaning to snap some pics but just been busy. give me a few days and I'll get some up.
Old January 11th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #23
New Boot

Christopher - have you tried flying the EX on just the merlin without the arm/vest?

Sean, I currently use the merlin and z1 setup reguarly. Its fine. Its a good workout on your right arm, but its manageable as long as you don't want to use it for longer than 10-15 mins constantly! A couple of mins rest and you can go again. I do find that slow moves are difficult, but thats probably more me as an operator than anything!
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #24
Major Player

yes... just for brief moments. Not far off from a Z1... less front heavy than a z1.
Old February 1st, 2008, 08:47 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Settings

Chris,
We have been trying for several to get teh EX 1 balanced now for several hours, if you would be so kind to share with us the settings you are using on the merlin and where you have the weights at that would be very much appercitated.
Thanks so much
Brandon
Brandon Potthoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 04:31 PM   #26
Major Player

A tip (for the bigger cams), what I do is extend the arc all the way and leave it like that all the time. That takes that bit of fiddling around out of the equation.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:12 PM   #27
New Boot

Like Brandon, I am also having a bit of a struggle getting the settings right for the EX1 on the Merlin. If anyone has had good success I would really appeciate any guidance. I can't seem to get the settings quite right.
Doug Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 02:24 PM   #28
Major Player

sure... the liftgate on my sequoia is frozen shut and I can't get to my gear right now..... but I'll take a snap of it and post as soon as I can. but basically one mid weight, and 6 bottom weights on the accessory plate, and spar all the way extended..... I think.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 04:05 PM   #29
New Boot

I still haven't had a chance to fly the EX1 yet either, but would be interested to know if anyone has got it working on the standard Merlin - without the metal gimble upgrade?
Old February 4th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #30
Major Player

ok... sorry for the delay.....

here's a pic as I fly it ( sans the vest/arm )

if I attach a senn G2 receiver, I remove a few weights until it's back to level.
Attached Thumbnails
Flying the new sony PMW-EX1-exonmerlin.jpg  
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)