Selling the Flyer, need some advice. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 6th, 2007, 11:44 AM   #1
Major Player

Selling the Flyer, need some advice.

Ok, so I’ve decided to sell the steadicam because the SI-2K exceeds the weight limit of the arm. I'm trying to get an idea of a fair market value for the following rig-

-Steadicam Flyer w/NP battery mount purchased- 2/16/05 from B&H
-Extra set of Black vest pads (includes the back waist pad)
-Two NP-L50S lithium ion battery packs w/built in power meter
-IDX duel charger model number JL-2PLUS
-Advanced Steadicam Techniques workshop VHS
-All original paper work and cables
-Custom Video Cable for monitor
-Sled relief cuts made by steadicam service to help prevent stripped bolts (apparently the orignial flyer had such strong steel, it would strip the allen bolts in the sled)
-Only been used a few times since last steadicam service

-John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi John,

a new Flyer is about $6500.
The problem is that people who can afford more than $5000 prefer to buy it new (not a big difference in price).
And for people who cannot afford it, $5000 is already much expensive.

i would be interested but i am part of those people who can't afford it for $5000 !

is the NP1 a "v mount" battery ?
Old November 19th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Eric-

Thanks for the input. I see what you’re saying, but a new flyer at $6500 doesn’t come with additional accessories like the lithium ion batteries and charger. This type of equipment doesnt 'wear out' like electronic equipment, so it would be suprising if I cant find a buyer when it goes up for sale.

They have a V mount that is part number- F12VLNN the NP-1 mount is part number- F12NPNN.

-John
Old November 21st, 2007, 01:07 AM   #4
Major Player

Eric - NP1 is a totally different mount than v-mount. NP1 is most commonly seen these days in field audio kits. There are adapters that exist that can change from one mount to another with limited success, but V-mount, Anton Bauer Gold Mount (3-Stud), Paglok, and NP1 are completely different mounts.
Jaron Berman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 02:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

flyer

i just sold a two year old flyer with the anton bauer battery adapter which is in greater demand than the np-1 style battery setup i sold it for $5100 and it took two months to sell and it was in perfect condition you will be lucky to get $4500 for your rig as steadicam is now coming out with less expensive models good luck
Mark Viducich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 11:41 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the feedback guys. Mark, did you sell an AB charger and battery set with the rig for 5100 or did you sell it to someone that already owns AB?

I think 5k plus half shipping is the lowest I could go, so if it doesn’t sell for that then I may just keep it for back up.

-John
Old November 21st, 2007, 01:27 PM   #7
Regular Crew

no i did not sell any batteries or charger with the setup but the sale also included a quick release plate and receiver an idx to a/b battery adapter and a low mode kit so again if you can get $4500 for your unit take it as the new steadicam pilot that will fly cameras weighing up to 10lbs has hit the market at $3800 marking it irresistible to dvx and hvx users alike
Mark Viducich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 01:29 PM   #8
Wrangler

The less expensive model (Pilot) is not a replacement for the Flyer; the Flyer will still carry a greater capacity camera load (15lb vs 10lb for the Pilot) and is thus still the rig of choice for those who are carrying heavier loads, such as with a 35mm adaptor and other accessories.

I don't think the Flyer should depreciate much until a new version comes out (as yet unannounced).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)