GS75 Stabilizer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 22nd, 2007, 05:03 AM   #1
Major Player

GS75 Stabilizer

Hey,

I've got my XL1 all sorted out now, but this isn't my camera it is my works camera. Now it's my turn. My tiny little Panasonic GS75 and I wanna go for a walk, but the little bugger shakes all over the place. Can anyone recommend a good hand held stabilizer for a camera this small?

As far as accessories go, it will have a wide converter strapped to the front, a PAG C6 on top and a cokin P filter kit on the front.

Any one ever stabilized something this small?
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 04:51 PM   #2
Major Player

Sounds like Merlin territory, it works great with anything from 0.5lbs up (to 7lbs).

- Mikko
Old November 22nd, 2007, 06:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Cheers, just checked out the Merlin, and have a question, is there a big difference in quality between the Merlin and the Glidecam 2000pro? The merlin is nearly three times the price!

Just wondering.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 01:05 AM   #4
Major Player

Yes. In my oppinion the quality difference is far greater than the price difference.

Not to mention the features.
For example: You'll need a 3rd party quick release system for the Glidecam (that also adds weight to tire you out more), the Merlin has a quick-release built in!

There are quite a few general comparisons between the systems if you look around the forum and the web. Of course if you've got any specific questions, fire away!

- Mikko
Old November 23rd, 2007, 03:34 AM   #5
Major Player

Cheers Mikko,

Just wanted to check I wasn't about to throw £400 away on a brand name.

Thanks.
Old November 29th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #6
Major Player

I've just seen the Hague HCS/3 and was wondering how it compares to the Merlin? Anyone have any experience with it?
Old November 29th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #7
Wrangler

Dave:

Haven't used the Hague but it's a direct copy of the Glidecam2/4000 series.

As Mikko indicated, there is an obvious difference between the Merlin and other handheld stabilizers out there. The price discrepancy has do with the fact that Steadicam inventor Garrett Brown designed the Merlin with decades of experience and genius on his side. The Merlin is a fine instrument, the other units out there are frankly somewhat coarse and clunky. This is not to say that smooth shots cannot be achieved with the Hague or Glidecam or whatever else you might find on eBay that resembles on or the other, but for precision, accuracy and results the Merlin is the way to go. It also will be the lightest solution, which is relevant with a handheld stabilizer.
Old November 30th, 2007, 03:36 AM   #8
Major Player

Ahh thanks for the clarification.

Dave
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)