Manfrotto Modosteady at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old January 26th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Manfrotto Modosteady

Hi Folks

Just saw this device sitting next to a Steadicam Merlin at my local video store. It seems to be a 3-in-1 support system - a shoulder brace, a table tripod and a stabilizer. While the Steadicam Merlin was priced at $999.00, the Modosteady was priced at $199.00. It looks a bit like the Merlin.

From what I saw, it seems to handle only the smallest camera such as the Canon HV/HG series. I don't think it can handle my GL2.

Anybody tried one of these? It's looks kind of flimsy.

You can see this on Manfrotto's site: http://modo.manfrotto.com
Norman Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #2
Major Player

I remember others on here talking about it saying it was not very good.
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 11:17 PM   #3
Major Player

don't buy it. I got one and I am returning it back to the store. It has so much friction on ball joint that when you move handle it will throw the camera out of balance. Ridiculous!
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #4
Trustee

Save yr cash for the merlin buddy. I tried both already!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #5
Major Player

It appears to be an uncharacteristically poor product from Manfrotto. Their tripods are great, but this is clearly an attempt to make something that looks vaguely like the Steadicam Merlin to capitaize on Merlin's "cool factor".

There is SOOOOOO much more that goes into a Merlin that you never really "see", and the Modo just can't compete, especially at its price point.

You see this type of marketing scheme everywhere. I mean, how many low-budget mp3 players do you see that basically copy the iPod's look (the dial-type face, etc.), but none of the features?

However, you can certainly get a brand-new Merlin for less than $999. B&H has them on their website for $799.95.
Frank Simpson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)