Steadicam Merlin arm & vest footage (short demonstration) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 19th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #1
Major Player

Steadicam Merlin arm & vest footage (short demonstration)

Here's a short Steadicam Merlin arm and vest demonstration with the Z1.
I've taped almost every practice session so you will see some of the footage I though was good enough to show you. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UjWsy7oGqs

And here you can see my first tryout of this system at IBC a few months ago for comparison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at4bILyPO6U

Hopefully I will be able to use it on a project soon. But until then, I have a lot of practicing to do!
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derran Rootring View Post
Hopefully I will be able to use it on a project soon. But until then, I have a lot of practicing to do!
Maybe not Derran, your stuff is looking excellent--very smooth and well-controlled. If you have the opportunity to practice with human beings that will benefit you greatly--factors such as holding proper headroom, anticipating starts and stops etc. are hard to do with inanimate objects.

Keep up the good work!
Old February 19th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Wow, Derran. This is some great looking footage! How long have you been working with this? I just got mine 2 weeks ago, and have not had as much time to practice as I'd like, but what time I've had so far sure has been fun!

I look forward to seeing more (and with people as Charles suggests)!
Frank Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #4
Major Player

Sssmooth. Like the background music as well.
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks guys, for the nice compliments!
Charles, I will definitely take your word for it and practice more with people in the shot. Just have to find some 'victims' now. ;-)

When I filmed this, I had the arm and vest for about two months. I couldn't practice with it as much as I hoped for, but I had the camera recording everything. Watching back the footage really helped me a lot.
Old February 20th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Derran
Very cool... got my arm and vest yesterday and have had a couple of goes but nowhere near your standard. More practice needed for me I think! Also, I've discovered muscles in my back I didn't know I had -(they hurt) so I'll work up to it gradually. First shoot is some behinbd the scenes stuff at a show on 1st March so plenty of time to practice.

One question - your merlin seems better balanced than mine - the jumping shot shows it. Can you tell me the settings you're using as I have a Z1 as well - I wonder if there's something I'm missing.

Overall, great footage though - might post some this weekend if I think its good enough!!! Wish I had a house as nice as that to practice in!! Mine's full of kid's junk!!
Graham Risdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 04:23 PM   #7
Major Player

This is AWSOME:
http://www.mikkowilson.com/files/PedCamUnderStairs.jpg

- Mikko
Old February 21st, 2008, 07:57 AM   #8
Major Player

Yes, I was very lucky to run into this camera and pedestal. :)

Graham, last week I found a setting for the Merlin / Z1 combo that seems to be working great (better then before):

- Camera Battery: NP-F570
- Mt. hole: H
- Front Weights: 1 Finish
- Lower Weights: 1 Start, 5 Mid and 1 Finish
- Arc Size: 33 cm / 11.8" (almost completely open)
- 'Z' Turns: -3 (two threads are showing)
- Stage Mark: -2
- G-Platz: Yes

I had the same hurting back muscles problem in the beginning. It will probably be over in a week or so.
Good luck and have fun practicing!
Old February 21st, 2008, 06:24 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Derran

Many thanks for these settings will try them over the weekend - may have to adjust as I use an NP-F960 battery. Done an hours practice today and I'm just starting to realise that it takes more practice than with just the handheld merlin!!

Going to spend more time at the weekend... Not due to use it in earnest for another week or so...
Graham Risdon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)