Quick Release Plate For Steadicam Pilot? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old February 20th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #1
Major Player

Quick Release Plate For Steadicam Pilot?

Anything available to get the camera from Pilot to tripod and vise versa similar to the Merlin?
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Bogen QR577 mount and plate about $50-$60 USD

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Don, so you have one and tried it with the Pilot? I have googled it and can't find it.
Old February 20th, 2008, 11:55 PM   #4
New Boot

Nick,

I have a Bogen 3273 Quick Release Adapter on my Pilot. In stock at B and H, $42.95. I have 3. One on the Pilot, another on a tripod, the third on a Hi-hat.
Old February 21st, 2008, 06:09 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Carl.
Old February 21st, 2008, 06:46 AM   #6
Inner Circle

OK it's now called the 577 without the QR. Used to have that designator. Oh well.
Anyway it is just slightly different than the 3273-plate size is smaller. As for my use, well I don't have a pilot but I use the 577 on my monopod and my DVMultirig and with that I can go from tripod to monopod to DVMultirig with either camera in just a few seconds. I couldn't be without it.
As they used to say "try it-you'll like it"
OO
\_/
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 07:35 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I had an engineer make this for me. http://droptodesign.com/test/mount.jpg Then I realised it was a little high, so I did have him cut the height in half. The picture shows the higher version. It works like a charm. Although it adds some height and a couple of ounces to the weight of the mount, I just balance for it. The final weight for the mount I had made is about the same as the quick release plate.
Old March 21st, 2008, 01:04 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Steven, could you kindly repost that picture above? I am having difficulty getting the 577 to work (similar to Nick I believe) on my pilot due to height clearance of the tension knob, and believe all I need is an adapter to give me about 5mm of height clearance.
Old March 21st, 2008, 03:00 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Y Wong View Post
Hi Steven, could you kindly repost that picture above? I am having difficulty getting the 577 to work (similar to Nick I believe) on my pilot due to height clearance of the tension knob, and believe all I need is an adapter to give me about 5mm of height clearance.

Here it is, I've since had the metal shop cut the height in half, now it's nowhere near as tall. http://droptodesign.com/test/mount.jpg The way I had it made was i took my dxa4p in as a model.
Old March 27th, 2008, 10:16 AM   #10
Major Player

My steadicam pilot arrived today, together with the bogen adapter. Anybody knows how to attach the adapter to the stage?

THe holes in the stage aren't wide enough...
Eugene Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 10:17 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Wiedemann View Post
Nick,

I have a Bogen 3273 Quick Release Adapter on my Pilot. In stock at B and H, $42.95. I have 3. One on the Pilot, another on a tripod, the third on a Hi-hat.

How did you attach the quick release to your Pilot?
Old March 27th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #12
Major Player

I'm forced to attach the Bogen adapter slightly off center towards the right, because of the lever. It cannot rotate otherwise.

So, consequently, the camera is also slighty out of center. The finetuning knob cannot compensate this.

Any suggestions...?
Old March 27th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Presley View Post
I'm forced to attach the Bogen adapter slightly off center towards the right, because of the lever. It cannot rotate otherwise.

So, consequently, the camera is also slighty out of center. The finetuning knob cannot compensate this.

Any suggestions...?

Eugene, see my picture up above. I had a metal shop make that for me. I then had them shorten the height to half of what you see in that picture. But it works very well.
Old March 27th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #14
Major Player

My Z1's cg leans to the right because of the shock mount, microphone and windjammer so I mount it to the far left side of the plate and it works out just well balance wise, and I can just turn the lever by slightly pulling it out first and then turning it.
Old March 27th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tsamandanis View Post
My Z1's cg leans to the right because of the shock mount, microphone and windjammer so I mount it to the far left side of the plate and it works out just well balance wise, and I can just turn the lever by slightly pulling it out first and then turning it.

As you Nick, I have to mount the bogen adapter to the left onto the stage (because of cg of my Canon XH A1)
There's no way I can rotate the lever, even when pulled out at max.

See pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Quick Release Plate For Steadicam Pilot?-_mg_4160.jpg   Quick Release Plate For Steadicam Pilot?-_mg_4161.jpg  

Eugene Presley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)