Sony Z1 on a Steadicam SK at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old April 8th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony Z1 on a Steadicam SK

Hey everyone,
A guy I work with owns a Steadicam SK (which I see is discontinued - he got it 10 years ago and hardly uses it because he has a jib). I'm shooting a high school basketball all-star game and he's letting me borrow his rig so I can be on the court for the slam dunk competition, similar to NBA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYsappbGHNg

The problem is I'm shooting with a Sony Z1 (approx 5 lbs.) but the SK would be better balanced with a heavier camera (its capacity is 17 lbs.). The guy I'm borrowing from rented his rig to a guy who was flying a Z1 a couple years ago. He had a steel plate made that fit between the camera and Steadicam plate that apparently added the perfect amount of weight, but I just found out today it has since been melted down.

The shoot is Thursday night so I'm looking for solutions to add weight to the rig asap so I can get used to the extra weight and practise as much as possible. I've practised with a couple maffer clamps attached to the camera handle but the balance is weird and it looks pretty goofy.

There is enough room to attach a maffer clamp on the post above the gimbal, so I could clamp something just below the camera.

I've been reading a lot about Steadicam setups on these boards for the past couple months and have a pretty good understanding of how the system should work, but the only use I've had is with the rig balanced awkardly on the weekend.

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions that I could look into right away, it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Mark
Old April 9th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #2
Major Player

He got two new 4.5 lb plates cut so it flies nicely now.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)