Steadicam folk - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 23rd, 2003, 10:23 AM   #16
Inner Circle

"Dean, do does your portable TV have a radio as well? All I can find at Radio Shacks here are clumsy looking TV/Radio combos. They do however, have the RCA video-in connector I'd need."

Hi Andrew. I just got in from a trip. The one I got is an RCA TV, model 16-3001. It does include a radio. The 7" model is a little big, but it provides a larger viewing area, too. I tried to find one that was mostly screen up front, and that's about as good as it got, for the money I spent ($65 or so). You might take a look at the 5" model. Of course, when you compare either one to an LCD screen they're quite bulky. But the LCD screen's viewing angles are much too limited to be broadly useful for a stabilizer like the Glidecam.

Dedicated video monitors with very bright screens tend to be expensive. This is a fairly good solution for the price.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 01:59 PM   #17
Wrangler

<<<-- Practice with the rig has resulted in a bit of pendulum and/or horizontal rolling, even after getting it balanced according to the manual. >>>

As I described earlier, the best way to troubleshoot this issue is to perform the same shot (say, walking down a hallway) with and WITHOUT the operating hand on the handgrip. What you describe is very typical "new operator" stuff. If the version of the shot without your operating hand rolls less, that's what is going on. It's then a matter of re-introducing that hand, but being very aware of not introducing external forces onto the rig. Be aware that you should be barely touching the rig with those fingers, in fact a certain percentage of the time on actually lets go of the rig with that hand altogether. Walking at a fixed speed in a straight line will require almost no feedback from the operator's hand.

If you try this and the hands-free version has problems also, it may possibly be that you have a gimbal issue.

<<What's your daily rate? Maybe I could buy your time up here for a day, heh.

You know what would be cool - A DVinfo Steadicam/GlideCam workshop weekend! I've got 3 weeks of vacation to use :) -->>>

Now you're talking. Anyone else in??
Old July 23rd, 2003, 05:13 PM   #18
Major Player

A workshop sounds like a great idea, count me in. Have you ever been to Scotland Charles :-)))

John.
John Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 06:18 PM   #19
Major Player

Knock vibration

I just noticed a knock vibration, felt through the handle (eminating from the gimbal) when the sled swings slightly. The knock is felt when the bottom of the sled swings up a few degrees from vertical, in any direction, and does the same once it swings in the opposite direction. A perfectly working gimbal shouldn't give any feedback, right?

I checked to make sure it wasn't the cable hitting the post, and nothing obtrusive is getting in the way, everythig is clamped down tight.

Perhaps this is the problem giving me grief? No matter how fine of a balance I get, the sled will still pendulum, roll, or twist for a bit when I stop moving.

I sent GlideCam an email, let's see what they have to say.
Old July 24th, 2003, 04:22 AM   #20
Wrangler

Knocking is not a good thing. It means that there is play somewhere in the gimbal assembly, and when the weight of the rig shifts, it is causing a jump within the gimbal assembly. This could certainly be affecting the operation.

There is another field test but it is not all that easy. I'm not familiar with the docking bracket for the Glidecam, but if it has a balance pin on the end of it, set the rig there. Eliminate any cables that travel between the top and the bottom of the rig. Make sure you are in good balance, then give the rig a spin (not too fast). First of all, the rig should spin for a good long time--if it comes to stop fairly quickly, you have friction in your pan bearing, which is not good.

The other goal is for the rig to spin flat, i.e. not tip in one direction or the other as it rotates (a phenomenon known as precession). If the rig is taking a consistent lean in a given direction, say 5% up when the lens is facing 12 o'clock and then 5% down at 6 o'clock, the rig is simply out of dynamic balance (you might want to check out this thread for information on this issue).

However, if the rig is performing oddly, such as leaning 5% at 12 o'clock and level at 6, this means that the gimbal is not balanced properly (the axes do not have a common center). This will also affect your operating.

John Steele: I have indeed been to Scotland a few times, not for about 8 years though. I'm a big fan.
Old July 24th, 2003, 12:03 PM   #21
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Charles Papert : Now you're talking. Anyone else in?? -->>>

I'd love to come to CA for a workshop, and even more so if you'll broaden the scope a little. I just read your post on another thread about subtle light getting into the lens, etc. So 101, but something I may never have figured out! Not to give you the big head :) but one of my folders is named "notes from Charles Papert." I appreciate your willingness to help on this forum and would gladly travel/pay for some instruction.
Old July 24th, 2003, 03:10 PM   #22
Wrangler

Thank you Lorinda, that's very flattering!

Anything could happen in the future...I'm just embarking on a career switch from cinematography to directing, which in all likeliness means I'll have a lot more free time than I do now (usually that's how it works). Maybe DV workshops will be something I could entertain. Stay tuned!
Old July 24th, 2003, 03:29 PM   #23
Major Player

I'm willing to quit my day job and work with you full time Charles, whoo! Directing - Lots of fun!

Like Lorinda, I also have threads bookmarked. I'm also willing to travel. I think you have a number of eager folk here who'd come out at hear what you have to say about all kinds of things... If that's not possible, if everyone had broadband, we could have weekly/monthly real time audio conferences. I'm just so excited about learning from guys in the field, and not some college professor.
Old July 24th, 2003, 03:52 PM   #24
Major Player

Andrew, I agree...It's been my personal experience that the skills you really use you pick up on the job or from people who are involved with it...most teachers tend to be too far removed...there are exceptions tho.

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 08:54 PM   #25
Major Player

I don't suppose you have any insight on my gimbal kocking issue Casey? Any ideas?
Old July 24th, 2003, 09:40 PM   #26
Major Player

Andrew, from what you're describing it could be a number of things...if in fact its coming from the gimbal assembly, then it could be an imperfect bearing on the yolk (doesnt sound like a problem with the pan bearing)...or perhaps a problem at the lock on the gimbal assembly...either way...something is loose...

i had another thought...it could also be in the head portion of the sled...any slippage of the plates or looseness here will likely cause a similar result...and felt through the handle.

i could pinpoint it if i had it in my hands without much trouble...but im not exactly qualified to issue a diagnosis over the net.

have you done the last field test Charles posted?

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2004, 06:18 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Charles Course

Has there been any more headway with a course Charles P?
Taylor Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 02:26 AM   #28
Wrangler

Haven't thought about this course thing since this thread was active, but stay tuned...mebbe once the video is out there, this will be a logical step.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 07:45 AM   #29
Major Player

So, where is the video! Where is it? WHERE IS IT CHARLES?! :)
Old January 22nd, 2004, 11:53 AM   #30
Wrangler

Soon, baby! Soon!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)