Steadicam Pilot Test at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old May 9th, 2008, 06:25 AM   #1
New Boot

Steadicam Pilot Test

Hi everyone,
I’have made some test with the Steadicam Pilot. You can see the montage at www.ciakframe.com in the “Steadicam section”.
Any criticism and comments are welcome.
Thanks.
Best,
Amedeo
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Looks good. Nice & smooth. Good Horizon (no visible rolling).

Here's some things to work on next:

1) Keep your headroom consistent throughout the shot. For others who may not know, headroom is the amount of space in the frame above the person's head. You'll need to boom up/down to keep consistent headroom as you get closer or further from your subject. Remember that booming up / down doesn't really affect anything else. In other words, the rig doesn't introduce any pan, tilt, or roll when you boom up or down. So don't be afraid to raise or lower your right hand constantly to keep frame.

2) Work on stairs. Watch the EFP training DVD section on stairs. Basically, every time you step up, you have to boom down to keep headroom consistent. In addition, every time the person you're shooting steps up, you have to boom up. Also, on longer sections of stairs, you have to tilt as well.

3) Try taking shots of people sitting down and standing up. For sitting down, you may want to start with a bit of a tilt down.

4) Try taking shots of people getting in and out of cars and driving away. Frame shots through car windows & such.

Hope this helps.

BTW: I'm not much of an editor, but I also have to put a reel like this together. What's a good source for royalty free music for this? What did you use?

Last edited by Dave Gish; May 10th, 2008 at 07:26 AM.
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 05:41 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi Dave,
thanks for the reply and suggestions. I will certainly follow your advice in the next exercises I will do. I would like to buy the DVD you mentioned, you mean “Steadicam EFP Video Training Manual”? Where can I order it? For royalty free music I suggest to you “The Music Bakery” at http://www.musicbakery.com/, they produce high quality music and you can choose the track you are interested in a well structured catalogue.
Best,
Amedeo
Old May 10th, 2008, 07:09 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amedeo Fabroni View Post
Hi Dave,
I would like to buy the DVD you mentioned, you mean “Steadicam EFP Video Training Manual”? Where can I order it?
See this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=115235
Near the bottom of the second post.

Hope this helps,
Dave.
Dave Gish is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)