EX1/EX3 Footage - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old November 4th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lawry View Post
As an editor and tech the luminance loss annoys me a lot, i've found a little wee DA that is small enough to fit on the rig. Now im just trying to find a spot to put it where i've got room, power and video. Although, it just ends up being another thing to power, and more video cable to run, im starting to ask myself is it worth it?
VERY interesting. The main issue will be the weight of the BNCs, especially if it's in a place where you need right angle connectors. I would be tempted to rip it apart and solder in appropriate length wires with RCA and 2.1mm molded connectors on the other ends.

Where did you find this?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it here:
http://www.cctvgadgets.com/Video_Spl...plitter_1.html
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 07:58 AM   #17
Major Player

Yea, the bnc weight is an issue.. Im still trying to figure out where i'd put the thing and how i'd power it. There isnt really anymore room at the top of the sled.. Maybe take a direct tap off the VLock plate.. but then i'd need 2, 1 for the transmitter as well.

And then steal video signal before it gets to the pilots LCD.. and then run 1 video output back to the LCD and one to the transmitter somewhere on the bottom of the sled..

I do like your idea of getting rid of the BNC connectors all together, then i could very light weight cable with plastic RCA plugs.

Last edited by Joe Lawry; November 4th, 2008 at 07:59 AM. Reason: 3 am in the morning.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lawry View Post
.. I'm still trying to figure out where I'd put the thing and how I'd power it. There isn't really anymore room at the top of the sled.. Maybe take a direct tap off the VLock plate.. but then I'd need 2, 1 for the transmitter as well.
Most of this type stuff is just attached with Velcro, so it could go just about anywhere on the camera. As for power, I would just use a 2.1mm y-cable from the connector on the stage.
Old November 18th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #19
Wrangler

You guys might prefer this unit which accepts a standard 9 volt battery, covering your power issues.
Old December 26th, 2008, 04:31 PM   #20
Major Player

I picked up this same small video splitter for $29 here:
Video Splitter - Video Splitter by CCTV Gadgets

They sent me a bigger one and called it an "upgrade". When I told them I didn't want the bigger one, they sent me the small one, and I returned the bigger one. If I had it to do over again, I would call in the order and explain why I want the small one.

Anyway, once I got the small splitter, I hooked it up and it worked. Definitely more luminance. I had to turn down the brightness. In the end, it looked about the same, maybe a little clearer, but not noticeably so.

But I had this other problem where the transmitter wire harness kept pulling out. That had to be fixed somehow, so I ended up taking the guts out of this little video splitter, put in it an smaller plastic box, and re-wired everything to the little box, which eliminated the strain on my transmitter connection.

It all works, and the extra power drain of the splitter is barely noticeable. But if I wasn't having other wiring issues, I probably wouldn't have bothered. The extra luminance provided by the splitter just meant I had to turn down the brightness on the monitors, which ended up looking about the same.
Old December 28th, 2008, 07:08 AM   #21
Trustee

Phil, you've got gut practicing your flying around a swimming pool. I'd get disoriented and fall in. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)