Powering your Camera from your Pilot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 1st, 2008, 04:21 AM   #1
Major Player

Powering your Camera from your Pilot

Here are the details and photos of how i am powering my Panasonic HVX off my Pilot Sled.

Its a frezzi product. Made for the Frezzi Stable Cam shoulder mount to go from the VLock/AB mount on the back to the DV camera your supporting. I've just cut the ends off and soldered on the correct plugs. I've got around 8v coming out the end.

You can buy it from here - Frezzolini | 99106 PC-P2 Adapter Cable | 99106 | B&H Photo Video

Mine looks different, however they have the same model number so maybe frezzi redesigned them, Theres also one on there for the Z1, DVX, and a couple other cameras. All you'd need to do is cut off the end that normally plugs into the Stable Cam, solder on a new 2.1mm positive center connector to plug into the pilot sled and away you go. I hacked off both of my ends because mine was originally for a PD170.

See attached photos. You can see with my sled that because i've got a QR plate on there there is a nice little spot inbetween the camera and the top of the stage to gaff it in.

I've only just finished this addition.. time to completely rebalance the sled! its so out due to the missing weight of the battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Powering your Camera from your Pilot-converter.jpg   Powering your Camera from your Pilot-rightside.jpg  

Powering your Camera from your Pilot-rightback.jpg   Powering your Camera from your Pilot-rear.jpg  

Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 05:05 PM   #2
Major Player

An update on this - I've scrapped it. Back to batteries.

It works, but sometimes its unreliable and the camera randomly switches off. I think its to do with the basic plugs. I also started getting major hum on the Pilot monitor when running power off the sled, there isnt enough isolation on the sled to stop this from happening, The power cable is touching metal somewhere..

I think all in all its easier to run a small rig like the pilot off the batteries, or, if your flyin an Ex1 or Ex3 just make the correct cable and you wont have to worry about dropping power down to 7.2v.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 09:22 AM   #3
Trustee

Not sure that I understand what kind of problem do you have with your setup, but I can tell that powering EX1 from the pilot battery works for me perfect; gives me about 6 hrs of non stop on one IDX
try to check your connections; I don't have any monitor hum or power offs, plus the sled is carbon fiber so I don't think there any problem with the isolation,
cheers
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:22 PM   #4
Major Player

The Ex1 is 14.4 volts.. so you dont need to use a power converter like i have been using to get down to 7.2v to power cameras like the hvx,a1,z1 etc.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)