Straight post on a Merlin Arm? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old December 1st, 2008, 03:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Straight post on a Merlin Arm?

I'm currently using both a Glidecam and a Merlin and have the Merlin Arm and Vest. I'd like to use the GC on the Merlin arm but the post is curved. Has anyone found a way to retrofit a straight post that will work with the GC or found a source for one that will fit? My current option is to fabricate one myself.

www.weddingfilms.com/GLIDECAM_STEADICAM
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Joel, tried this? : Steadicam | 801-7291 Pilot Arm Post Kit | 801-7291 | B&H Photo
Old December 1st, 2008, 04:20 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Nick!

I just emailed them to find out if the diameter is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tsamandanis View Post
Old December 1st, 2008, 04:59 PM   #4
Major Player

My guess is the post is not wide enough for the Glidecam. That post is for the Steadicam Pilot, which has a much smaller diameter "handle" than the GC.
Peter Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 07:19 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Peter,

Great article in EventDV, BTW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Chung View Post
My guess is the post is not wide enough for the Glidecam. That post is for the Steadicam Pilot, which has a much smaller diameter "handle" than the GC.
That was my thought. I have a feeling I'll have to put together something with my father-in-law. He builds bicycle frames, so he should have the right materials and tools. Might be something other people could use too...
Old December 1st, 2008, 08:12 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
Hi Peter,

Great article in EventDV, BTW...
Thanks, Joel. That means a lot coming from you!

Quote:
That was my thought. I have a feeling I'll have to put together something with my father-in-law. He builds bicycle frames, so he should have the right materials and tools. Might be something other people could use too...
I think it would be of interest to others. You could probably rig something simple up for your personal use. Just a rod that is tapered down on one end. You wouldn't necessarily need the bottom screw like the Merlin and Pilot posts since the part of the post that connects to your GC is wider so it can just rest on the top of the post holder of the arm... maybe you can make it with a lathe? Good luck with it!
Old December 1st, 2008, 09:54 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks, Joel. That means a lot coming from you!
Ackkk. I was really impressed. I also like your idea of the buckles on the vest rather than velcro. I've already cannibalized two water bottle fanny packs for clips. Come summer my wife isn't going to be too happy about that...

Quote:
I think it would be of interest to others. You could probably rig something simple up for your personal use. Just a rod that is tapered down on one end. You wouldn't necessarily need the bottom screw like the Merlin and Pilot posts since the part of the post that connects to your GC is wider so it can just rest on the top of the post holder of the arm... maybe you can make it with a lathe? Good luck with it!
I have a rubber grip that I slid off the end of a tripod handle on the merlin's bent post right now and the GC's handle fits perfectly over it, but for the final version I picture a piston of solid aluminum with a narrower section at the bottom that fits into the post holes with a threaded end for a washer and a nut. The top section would be the diameter needed for the GC handle and, being wider, would act as a stop, resting on the top of the post holder. Once we get it right it should be easy to run off a bunch of them.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...1&d=1228190010
Attached Thumbnails
Straight post on a Merlin Arm?-screencap1.jpg  
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:10 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I have a GC as well as a pilot and I've considered making an adapter myself. All you really need is a bushing that will fit snuggly in the handle of the GC and has a hole in the center of the correct diameter for the Pilot post.

Last edited by Chris Medico; December 3rd, 2008 at 06:18 PM.
Chris Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:41 PM   #9
Major Player

That would simplify it! Good thinking, Chris.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 06:25 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Thanks Peter,

Now if I could only spell BUSHING. :)
Old February 13th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #11
Major Player

Any update on this project fellas? I use a glidecam now and it's perfect for what I'm doing but the only problem is fatigue. If an adapter is created where I can use my friends Merlin vest and arm, that would solve alot of problems :).

I'd be more than happy to pay for an adapter!

In the meantime, I'm going to go take the rubber grip from my spare tripod and see how that works out.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:16 AM   #12
Major Player

Hi Randy,

I took the budget route. Works just fine.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...1&d=1234592159
Attached Thumbnails
Straight post on a Merlin Arm?-budget-post.jpg  
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
Hi Randy,

I took the budget route. Works just fine.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...1&d=1234592159
lol....awesome. Pretty innovative ;). Mind posting what thread size and pitch the nuts and the long bolt is? How does it hold up to rotating around the washers? Does it hold tightly or have enough play for it to slightly spin?

How hard was it to take out the merlin post? It's not my vest so before I attempt this and potentially damage my friends arm, I'd appreciate any info on the risk of it.

Sorry for barraging you with questions. Appreciate the help!

Thanks!
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:40 AM   #14
Major Player

Hi Randy,

I'm so sorry its taken so long to get back to you on this. I had notifications turned off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Panado View Post
lol....awesome. Pretty innovative ;). Mind posting what thread size and pitch the nuts and the long bolt is?
I remember being in the aisle at Home Depot trying a lot of combinations (while my 3 year old son pulled everything out with me. What a mess.) I'll see if I can get accurate measurements for you today.

Quote:
How does it hold up to rotating around the washers? Does it hold tightly or have enough play for it to slightly spin?
It turns just fine. There isn't much play at all.

Quote:
How hard was it to take out the merlin post? It's not my vest so before I attempt this and potentially damage my friends arm, I'd appreciate any info on the risk of it.
Its very easy to remove and if you have a larger washer at the bottom of the stack the glidecam won't scratch the steadicam's post holder. There is just a screw on the bottom of the post and a washer in a slot that keeps it from going down. I put this together to give my father in law an idea of what I was looking for - he was going to help me machine a 'real' post, which I didn't end up needing:

GLIDECAM_STEADICAM

Quote:
Sorry for barraging you with questions. Appreciate the help!
Ackk! Are you kidding? I owe you. Your A1 preset has completely changed my outlook for those cameras. I'm constantly having to close down the iris!
Old July 21st, 2009, 02:50 PM   #15
New Boot

When talking about different post types...
I have read tons of different topics related to Merlin and Pilot but there is one unclear question for me.
I understand Merlin and Pilot have same arm only difference is that Merlin arm has curved post and Pilot has straight post. In order to use one or another with the same arm I should buy Post Kit. My question is that how hard or easy it is changing those posts. Do I need few hours of time and some tools for that change or it is just few clicks plug&play type of work?
I have Merlin (handheld only) and now planning to upgrade to Pilot. I’d like to use my Merlin too with Pilot arm... so I have to buy Merlin Post Kit, right?

Another question. Can anyone recommend some quick release plate system that would work with Merlin, Pilot and tripod without a need to change any plates? My camera is Canon XH-A1.
Viimar Lindau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)