What can be achieved with the steadicam JR? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 4th, 2003, 10:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What can be achieved with the steadicam JR?

I just watched the Buena Vista Social Club on tv and I was impressed by some of its many steadicam shots. The homemade-steadicam footage here at the thread "par-t-com steadi-cam test " was also rather impressive. My question is, how possible is it to achieve flying steadicam shots (comparable, lets say, to those at the "par-t-com steadi-cam test" thread) using a handheld stabilizer like the steadicam JR lite, with the gs100 (a very compact panasonic 3 chip which weighs less than two pounds with a battery and has optical image stabilization (OIS))?

Thanks,
Paul
Paul Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2003, 12:52 AM   #2
Wrangler

Paul:

The answer is, very possible.

The JR is a quality unit, capable of much subtlety. Plus your camera is light enough that you will be able to wield the whole package for long enough without exhausting your wrist and forearm.

I would recommend turning off the optical stabilization while you are flying on a JR.

Be advised that it takes a good deal of practice to get good at any gimbal-based stabilizer. I hope that Tiffen is still including the excellent JR training tape that was made when the JR first came out--if you buy a used rig and the tape doesn't come with it, hunt it down.

With plenty of practice and good operating form, you can achieve wonderful results with this setup.
Old September 5th, 2003, 07:58 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi Charles,
What is the advantage to turning off optical image stabilization?
Dave
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2003, 02:00 AM   #4
Wrangler

In the same way that it is suggested that you switch it off while using a tripod, the OIS will make your Steadicam moves a bit slushy--you end up fighting the effect. It's not needed while using a Steadicam, anyway.
Old September 6th, 2003, 02:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Charles!
Paul Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)