Steadicam vs. Glidecam for EX1/3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:08 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozef Zitnansky View Post
EX3 need at least Steadicam Flyer or Sachtler Artemis DV pro.
Artemis - Sachtler GmbH
Since when? The EX3 is within the rated weight of the of both the Pilot and the X-10.

The Flyer LE is more than twice the price, while the Flyer SE is four times the cost! The Flyer LE could support a camera that weighs as much as two EX3's. Why do you say the EX3 needs this 'at least'?
Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:22 PM   #17
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
Since when?
light...wireless...dof...
Jozef Zitnansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 03:42 PM   #18
Major Player

The EX3 with the stock battery and two SxS cards is @ 8lb. The add your v-lock battery, between 1.2 and 2lb, and your at or close to the 10lb max weight. That said, it can probably handle a few pounds more, but 10 is the guaranteed minimum.
"If" in the future you want to add accessories to the EX3, you won't have much spare capacity. Mattebox, rails, video transmitter, audio receiver, lenses, 35mm adapter, follow focus, etc. You might squeeze them on if you score a buffed arm, or maybe not.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 04:13 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. Williams View Post
The EX3 with the stock battery and two SxS cards is @ 8lb. The add your v-lock battery, between 1.2 and 2lb, and your at or close to the 10lb max weight.
I've flown the EX3 on the Pilot with accessories, and I have an accurate digital scale. Here's what I found:
1) You'll want to remove the EVF LCD hood. This makes the EX3 lighter and easier to balance side-to-side.
2) With the EVF LCD hood removed, the EX3 with the stock BP-U30 battery weighs just over 7 pounds.
3) The IDX E-7S V-Lock battery weighs .75 pounds.
4) You can remove the BP-U30 battery and power the EX3 from the IDX battery. This worked fine for me.
5) Without the BP-U30 battery and LCD EVF hood, the EX3 weighs around 6.75 pounds.
6) At 6.75 pounds, there is plenty of available weight for reasonable accessories (wireless audio receiver, shotgun, on-camera lighting, wireless video transmitter, etc.).

More info on Pilot/EX3 here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/stabilize...-possible.html

Bottom line: As long as you're not using a lens adapter, the EX3 will work with the Pilot just fine.

If you want to fly the XH-A1, HVX-200, EX1, or EX3 with a lens adapter, you'll need to spend $7K for a Pilot LE, $5K for a good wireless follow focus system, and you'll need a very experienced assistant cameraman to pull focus.
More info on steadicam w/ lens adapter here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/stabilize...f-adapter.html
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 06:08 PM   #20
Major Player

I've never actually weighed my EX3 or the E-7S, I just quoted the manual figures, so I'll take your word for it :)

Have you tried to max out your arm yet? I'm curious how far over the 10lbs you can go.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 06:34 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Have you tried to max out your arm yet? I'm curious how far over the 10lbs you can go.
Mine will go around 11 pounds and hold level. Sometimes I like to raise my arm above level to get the lens to float a little higher by itself, so around 10 pounds works best for me.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:20 PM   #22
Major Player

Same here Dave, my Merlin arm, which I sold went way over that, probably around 15 pounds.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:50 PM   #23
Major Player

My Flyer-LE manages to squeak in 26lbs plus sled. I was quite happy with that, the extra 6 or 7lbs will be very handy.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:43 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
My Flyer-LE manages to squeak in 26lbs plus sled. I was quite happy with that, the extra 6 or 7lbs will be very handy.
Wow, that's way beyond spec. Does that include the battery?
Old February 23rd, 2009, 03:48 PM   #25
Major Player

Bare sled with no batteries. I just hung weights with bungees till the forearm dipped. Still plenty in the upper arm, I think I could squeeze a bit more just by putting a wedge on the spring. I've heard the gimbal is good for regular use up to 30lbs, but I'd guess that includes the sled.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 05:38 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gish View Post
I've flown the EX3 on the Pilot with accessories, and I have an accurate digital scale. Here's what I found:
1) You'll want to remove the EVF LCD hood. This makes the EX3 lighter and easier to balance side-to-side.
2) With the EVF LCD hood removed, the EX3 with the stock BP-U30 battery weighs just over 7 pounds.
3) The IDX E-7S V-Lock battery weighs .75 pounds.
4) You can remove the BP-U30 battery and power the EX3 from the IDX battery. This worked fine for me.
5) Without the BP-U30 battery and LCD EVF hood, the EX3 weighs around 6.75 pounds.
6) At 6.75 pounds, there is plenty of available weight for reasonable accessories (wireless audio receiver, shotgun, on-camera lighting, wireless video transmitter, etc.).

More info on Pilot/EX3 here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/stabilize...-possible.html

Bottom line: As long as you're not using a lens adapter, the EX3 will work with the Pilot just fine.

If you want to fly the XH-A1, HVX-200, EX1, or EX3 with a lens adapter, you'll need to spend $7K for a Pilot LE, $5K for a good wireless follow focus system, and you'll need a very experienced assistant cameraman to pull focus.
More info on steadicam w/ lens adapter here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/stabilize...f-adapter.html
This was what I was expecting, Dave. One AB battery to power both cam and lcd, wireless mic receiver(s) and, on occassion, a wide angle adapter or wider lens. Not planning on using any DofF adapters.

However, if I wanted to use a 35mm adapter, I'd get a system with a relay lens, removing the EX3 lens which weighs 2.8 lbs all by itself! In this scenario, it may still work.

I'll probably fly the cam with DM-accessories basic plate as well for stability - but I think that's only around 4 or 5 oz. I'll have to weigh it when it arrives.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:28 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
This was what I was expecting, Dave. One AB battery to power both cam and lcd, wireless mic receiver(s) and, on occassion, a wide angle adapter or wider lens. Not planning on using any DofF adapters.
Most AB batteries are much bigger than the IDX E-7S VL batteries, so that will eat into the weight. Do you already have the AB batts? If not, I would suggst the Pilot-VLB package.

Quote:
However, if I wanted to use a 35mm adapter, I'd get a system with a relay lens, removing the EX3 lens which weighs 2.8 lbs all by itself! In this scenario, it may still work.
It's not so much the lens and adapter, but the weight of the rails and wireless FF that puts you over the 10 pounds. If you want to fly a 35mm adapter, you'll need to spend $7K for a Flyer and another $5K for a wireless FF system. You can use a 35mm adapter on sticks and no 35mm adapter on steadicam. People have found it's OK to intercut the two, as long as the shots are planned well and have good lighting.

Quote:
I'll probably fly the cam with DM-accessories basic plate as well for stability - but I think that's only around 4 or 5 oz. I'll have to weigh it when it arrives.
You may also want to buy a tripod adapter. This allows you to move between sticks and steadicam really easy. Here's the one I use:
Amazon.com: Manfrotto 577 Rapid Connect Adapter w/Sliding Mounting Plate (3433PL): Electronics
Old February 26th, 2009, 06:46 AM   #28
New Boot

Anyone care to post some images or footage flying an EX3 successfully on a pilot?

Thanks,
Cathal Hegarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #29
Major Player

I fly a V-lock Pilot with a Z1 with a quick release plate as well, video light + battery, transmitter and of course the much needed weights at the bottom to increase stability. This configuration adds up to the max weight. If I were to upgrade my camera to the ex3 I would need a flyer. Ten pounds adds up pretty quickly.
Old February 26th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tsamandanis View Post
... with a quick release plate as well, video light + battery, transmitter and of course the much needed weights at the bottom to increase stability... If I were to upgrade my camera to the ex3 I would need a flyer.
You can power the EX3 and the video light off the Pilot's VL battery. Without the battery and EVF LCD cover, the EX3 weighs around 6.75 pounds.
Dave Gish is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)