Steadicam vs. Glidecam for EX1/3 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 26th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #31
Major Player

The 2 quick release plates weigh in at 290 grams, and you still need those weights at the bottom for increased stability. In my case my light needs to be powered by the large F970 battery. As a one off I could put up without the convenience of a qr plate, but not every week. Unfortunately I have very limited time to set up most times. Of course every body's situation is different, but just sharing my experience.
Old February 27th, 2009, 06:50 AM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Ruddock View Post
Anyone had any experience using a steadycam with the Ex1? Just wondered how it coped motion wise with steadycam movement.
Many thanks
Hi Darren. I had the opportunity to mess with the x10 3 weeks ago n I must say it does perform. However when compared to a Pilot, its still quite a little behind. The Pilot arms are better (minimal bounce), lighter (x10 has quite a heavy vest) and the sled is much more refined compared to the HD 4000. A lot of little things have been taken into the design of the Pilot so i'll say that it wins hands down except for the price.

Glidecam HD-4000 and x10 Test on Vimeo
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 07:02 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tsamandanis View Post
In my case my light needs to be powered by the large F970 battery.
Wouldn't a new light cost a lot less than a new steadicam?

By the way, I agree about the tripod adapter / QR plate. Very necessary for most people.
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gish View Post
Wouldn't a new light cost a lot less than a new steadicam?

By the way, I agree about the tripod adapter / QR plate. Very necessary for most people.
C'mon Dave it's a perfect excuse for buying a new rig. -)
Old February 27th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #35
New Boot

I'm still trying to decide on which to go with for my pilot.. to go with an EX1 would probably give me more leeway.. though I'd really like to see some photos and footage of a user successfully flying with the EX3.. it's nice to read about some users experiences.. but seeing is believing.. I would imagine it's much harder to get dynamic balance correctly with the EX3 due to it's fixed monitor position.. am I wrong?

Also sorry to hijack this post with another message but can anyone recommend a good quick release plate? I could really be doing with one..
Cathal Hegarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathal Hegarty View Post
Also sorry to hijack this post with another message but can anyone recommend a good quick release plate? I could really be doing with one..
I bought this one and I like it :

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 577 Quick Release Adapter | 577
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Anyone care to post some images or footage flying an EX3 successfully on a pilot?
Images below.
Attached Thumbnails
Steadicam vs. Glidecam for EX1/3-ex3_1.jpg   Steadicam vs. Glidecam for EX1/3-ex3_2.jpg  

Steadicam vs. Glidecam for EX1/3-ex3_3.jpg  
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:01 AM   #38
New Boot

Thanks Randy for the reply..

Also Dave thank you so much for posting them images.. it helps me to visually get a better understanding the whole rig + accessories.. what was the total combined weight? that would pretty much be all I would need to fly with regarding accessories.. and your powering the camera from the rig right? also what shotgun are you using there? and did you achieve dynamic balance ok?

Sorry if i'm repeating questions.. I just want to be sure I make the right choice with camera..

Thanks
Cathal
Cathal Hegarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
what was the total combined weight?
With these accessories, it's right at the limit. I had to crank the blue thumbscrews all the way up to get the Pilot arm level.
Quote:
and your powering the camera from the rig right?
Yes, using a custom cable with 2.1mm and Sony EIAJ DC right angle connectors. Note that the yellow Sony EIAJ DC plug really needs to be right angle so it doesn't hit your left cheek. I chopped that connector off the end of this cable.
Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training
Note that the composite video out BNC connector is also right angle for the same reason.
Quote:
also what shotgun are you using there?
Rode NTG-1 shotgun, Rode SM-3 shock mount, Rode Dead Cat windscreen, Custom cable with Neutrik NC3MRX-B & NC3FRX-B connectors.
Quote:
and did you achieve dynamic balance ok?
Yes, dynamic balance was good. The tripod mount had to go one hole back, so it hangs off the back a little (see pictures). I also had to do this with the Sony EX1 and Z1U cameras to get dynamic balance.

Last edited by Dave Gish; March 1st, 2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old February 28th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gish View Post
With these accessories, it's right at the limit. I had to crank the blue thumbscrews all the way up to get the Pilot arm level.
I really need to buy me a scale to figure out how much my rig weighs.. because since i've had it i've never not had my arm fully cranked up.. anything less than that and it just sags.

Really need to also make a power cable for my EX1, with the camera, big battery and a big lectrosonic receiver (http://www.lectrosonics.com/wireless/400/ucr401.htm) it definitely feels like its at its maximum weight. My arm starts to sag after that..

But then you go and post pics of an EX3 rig which im sure must way more than what im flying.. no battery there though, i can definitely see how thats going to help.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #41
Major Player

Go for the Steadicam, I have the Smooth Shooter, the X-10 is a Smooth Shooter with an extra arm, I don't like my Smooth Shooter very much! It's great for cheap events however when you start going professional it's no good. The Glidecam 4000 Pro has quite a few design flaws that make it impossible to recommend, the gimbal handle is fixed and placed in a stupid place, the gimbal on the Steadicam can be moved up and down. When I try to get certain angles the gimbal on the Glidecam makes contact with the plate holding the camera, it's very annoying and a deal killer. You need an external monitor for good flying, the Steadicam has one standard as it should be. The Glidecam is only useful on a flat surface, when moving over rocky, bumpy terrain forget about smooth motion.

As soon as I can afford it, I'm selling my Glidecam for a Steadicam.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)