HG10 and Glidecam 2000 Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 27th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HG10 and Glidecam 2000 Pro

Just purchased the Glidecam Pro 2000 for my Canon HG10, after a couple of hours tweaking I have to say it really is an amazing device, video footage is really smooth, and with my canon being so light I added a WD-H43 Wide angle converter as well as a Manfrotto Quick release Plate,and larger long life battery... I was able to get the drop time to just over 2 seconds , will continue to tweek and practice with my new setup, but thus far I am very pleased.....Just a side note, the camera weighs in at 1.1 Pounds factory specs, with the additional listed items I was able to get the weight up to 2.0 pounds...

Last edited by David Wayne Groves; February 27th, 2009 at 03:16 PM.
David Wayne Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew

OK after further testing I decided to install my Rode Stereo VideoMic on to my HG10 and wow!!!that made all the difference, the added weight really made my Glidecam balance perfectly, drop time is 2 seconds and the balance is almost 99.9%, now its time to hit the road and practice, practice, practice.......
Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:52 PM   #3
Trustee

Let us see some footage,
please :)
Old March 6th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #4
Major Player

Something to note on drop time. It doesnt have to be 2 seconds. ITs whatever works best for you.

Some people like a totally neutral sled (zero drop time). Some like it a bit faster. You also need it bottom heavy if your out in the wind or moving slowly and want it a bit more stable. If your doing tilts you want a longer drop time.

Also, ensure your counting right. one one thousand, two one thousand. Its seconds you want afterall and not just a count of 123.

It is an amazing bit of kit and going from nothing the glidecam can transform the way you shoot.

I didnt know if I would get into it so just go the GC2000, then the vest and arm and now im planning on getting a Steadicam Pilot.
Old March 6th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The 2 second drop time is with the one one thousand, two one thousand count...I had a real time balancing the camera mainly due to its very lite weight, but with the added Wide angle lense and Rode VideoMic the camera achieved the needed balance , getting a smooth glide shot is more demanding at this point due to my inexperience plus keeping a very lite 2 finger touch on the camera glidecam while shooting....still got a long way to go but with spring finally here I can get out and practice with various scenes....
Old May 2nd, 2009, 03:17 PM   #6
New Boot

Just purchased Glidecam 2000 Pro

I received it yesterday and spent a good 2 hours balancing and practicing a little.
I noticed just a tiny bit of shift on the plates make the balance way off. do I have go through this every time i use my glidecam?
And for my Sony HVR-A1, tape is inserted from the bottom. How can I avoid wasting time when I'm changing the tape?
Sean Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 06:09 PM   #7
Major Player

Fine tuning the balance on Glidecam 2000

I found out, that after rough balancing using the plates, moving the washers around a little bit to achieve final adjustment is much easier.
Pavel Houda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Best thing is to get a quick release plate to fit your setup, solves the balance problem whenever you need to remove your rig to change the tape or in my case the battery....Here are a couple of shots of my rig with the glidecam 2000 Pro....sorry for the poor quality but my digital camera is on the fritz....

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/s...h/IMG_0352.jpg

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/s...h/IMG_0353.jpg
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:03 AM   #9
New Boot

Quick Release Plate

[QUOTE=David Wayne Groves;1138027]Best thing is to get a quick release plate to fit your setup, solves the balance problem whenever you need to remove your rig to change the tape or in my case the battery....Here are a couple of shots of my rig with the glidecam 2000 Pro....sorry for the poor quality but my digital camera is on the fritz....

Thanks. I think i'm getting used to balancing it already though... but i'll still need the quick release plate.
Sean Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #10
Regular Crew

After some tinkering with the additional washers included with the Glidecam, I was able to remove the Rode mic and get the weight up to a little above 3Lbs on my Canon HG10, now the Glidecam works a little better during shoots, I also just purchased a Canon HG21 and with the additional washers it to works perfectly with the Glidecam 2000 Pro as well.....
David Wayne Groves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)