Steadicam Pilot and Canon XHA1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 14th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #1
New Boot

Steadicam Pilot and Canon XHA1

I recently purchased the Pilot and wondered if any of you have a method of running the camera off of the IDX battery? Is there a "wonder" cable made for this already. Also for the Video cable - does one exist or do I have to buy a normal one from Canon and chop it down?

Thanks for the the help!

Last edited by Brian Ward; March 14th, 2009 at 10:05 PM.
Brian Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 03:54 AM   #2
Major Player

I think you need more than just the cable as the voltage is different. You will need a little box to convert the voltage.
Old March 15th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Ward View Post
I recently purchased the Pilot and wondered if any of you have a method of running the camera off of the IDX battery? Is there a "wonder" cable made for this already.
This thread might be useful:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/stabilize...our-pilot.html

Bottom line: For 7.x volt cameras, you'll probably end up using your camera battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Ward View Post
Also for the Video cable - does one exist or do I have to buy a normal one from Canon and chop it down?
I don't know of anyone who sells these, so I just make my own.

Steadicam should really sell these. The most popular cameras for the Pilot are the XH-A1, EX1, HVX, and EX3.

For the XH-A1 and various other Canon cameras, a 3.5mm (headphone style connector) with 4 contacts, preferably right angle, to RCA short video cable is required.

For the EX1 and various other Sony cameras, you need a Sony AV multi-pin D-connector to RCA short video cable.

For the EX3, you need a right-angle BNC to RCA short video cable. It's critical that the BNC connector is right angle, otherwise it will stick out in your face.

Powering the EX1 and EX3 from the Pilot-VLB works well, but you need a custom power cable with a 2.1mm connector on one end and a right angle yellow Sony EIAJ DC plug on the other. For the EX3, its critical that the yellow power plug be right angle, otherwise it will stick out in your face.

For the HVX you don't need much, since it already has an RCA composite video connector on the camera. You just need a right angle RCA-RCA adapter to keep the wire out of your face, like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Right-Ang.../dp/B0002KR24K

Last edited by Dave Gish; March 15th, 2009 at 06:37 AM.
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #4
New Boot

I watched the review by Charles and noticed that he was using the BNC so I think I will just get a BNC to RCA cable for the video.

Not sure about the camera on the XHA1 for power but yeah I think I will just use the camera battery for a while.

Man this is the first item that I have purchased for film that feels like I bit off more than I can chew :)

Cheers David and seriously, I give you and Charles major kudos for the help you give to this forum it has helped me out tremendously as it relates to Steadicam.
Brian Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 09:54 PM   #5
Major Player

The Pilot comes with a BNC adapter. Just hook the adapter to the end of the supplied video cable and you're in business. That's what I used for the video signal for my XH-A1.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)