Sachtler Artemis DV Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 31st, 2009, 02:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sachtler Artemis DV Pro

Has anyone had experience with the Sachtler Artemis DV Pro camera stabiliser? Is it relatively "straight forward" to balance and use compared to other rigs in this price range? It seems very well made and ideal for our video and film company because of its upgradeable spring capacity. The cameras we intend using are as follows: JVC GY-HD101E; Canon XL-H1A; Arriflex 16SR1, and an Aaton LTR 32. The two film cameras with full magazines and a Zeiss 8mm Distagon lens, plus onboard batteries (although we hope to dispense with these whilst using the stabiliser and draw power from the rig battery) weigh in at about 20 LBS +, minus video assists. The video cameras will use a light weight matte box and 15mm support bars. The same applies to the 16mm cameras. As we don't intend buying more than one stabiliser is this a good choice? We can't afford any more than this one costs! Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Simon
Simon Glidewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 05:34 AM   #2
Major Player

I haven't used the Sachtler, but I have flown an ARRI SR2
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzenu6hr/e...s/PA310016.jpg

With the Bartech, focus motor, wireless video transmitter, matte box, filters, french flag, and eyebrows, I would say that's closer to 25 pounds total. That's with a 16mm lens.

For the kind of productions that use a film camera, and considering there is no playback, I would say the wireless video transmitter is somewhat essential.

Hope this helps.

By the way, you may have more luck posting this over on the steadicam forum newbies section:
http://www.steadicamforum.com/index.php?showforum=23
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 07:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your message Dave. I wouldn't bother posting on the forum that you suggest because of the SC bias and all the acrimony directed towards users of non SC products. I've now found out that the Sachtler, although a fantastic product, is probably not strong enough for 16mm motion picture cameras anyway (in basic set up mode) even with the strongest spring option. The next stabiliser up would be The Flyer which is out of our budget range.

All the best
Simon
Old March 31st, 2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Glidewell View Post
I wouldn't bother posting on the forum that you suggest because of the SC bias and all the acrimony directed towards users of non SC products.
Oops. I've been posting Glidecam stuff over there for a while now. I've seen a lot of others there do it also. Actually, I think there seems to be a fair amount of respect towards Glidecam and ActionCam there, so I think they would respect Sachtler as well.

Many professional steadicam operators started out with less expensive brands, and many of them now use parts from PRO, MK-V, Klassen, etc.. I wouldn't say I've seen any extreme bias toward Steadicam brand products there. However, there is extreme bias against very cheap brands like Flycam.

Here's my opinion (for what it's worth).

For cameras 19 pounds or less (including accessories), the Steadicam brand rules. I believe the Steadicam Pilot and Flyer are the best products in the space, and the prices are not bad.

For the mid-range, maybe 20-35 pounds, the Steadicam brand stuff is way too expensive, so most people gravitate toward other brands like Glidecam, ActionCam, etc.

For higher weight professional users, Steadicam again becomes somewhat cost competitive, but there are also other good choices like PRO and MK-V, plus companies that supply individual parts of the rig, like Klassen.
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:08 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Glidewell View Post
I've now found out that the Sachtler, although a fantastic product, is probably not strong enough for 16mm motion picture cameras anyway (in basic set up mode) even with the strongest spring option. The next stabilizer up would be The Flyer which is out of our budget range.
Actually, the Sachtler seems to go up 20 pounds of camera with monitor & batteries:
Artemis - Sachtler GmbH

The Steadicam Flyer is only rated up to 19 pounds.

If you want something that goes up to 26 pounds for under US$5000, check out the Glidecam V-20.
Glidecam | V-20 Professional Camera Stabilization System Kit
It's somewhat crude, and takes a little while to set up, but it will get the job done.

If you want something that can lift up to 50 pounds, which includes a fully loaded RED One package, then check out the ActionCam stuff.
http://actionproducts.ch/actioncam/a...am-zero-g.html
But these are 2-3 times the price of the Glidecam or Sachtler. Made in Switzerland.
Old April 1st, 2009, 04:49 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks again Dave for all the above info.

Regards
Simon
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #7
Major Player

Dave,

Speaking of cheap brands like Flycam, I recenlty got the Flycam 5000 which is an Indian copy of the Glidecam 4000. What interested me more though was the vest and arm that went with it.

I realize that for just over $600 it is not going to be a Steadicam Pilot or Glidecam X10 or Smooth Shooter but after my operator made her first test shots yesterday with zero experience I have to say I was impressed.

I am hoping the Flycam 5000 with the arm and vest will work well enough to allow us some creative work in Wedding Videography that will generate business that in time will allow us to step up to a genuine Steadicam or Glidecam sled, arm, & vest.

Do you know of any forum or place where the Flycam is discussed? I can't find hardly any information online from users and the directions are less than steller.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J. Ammons View Post
Do you know of any forum or place where the Flycam is discussed?
I have seen some threads here on dvinfo
Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) - The Digital Video Information Network

There are actually 31 pages on this section of the forum, so be sure to look beyond the initial 1st page.
Dave Gish is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)