XL-1 with Video SK Steadicam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 4th, 2003, 11:50 PM   #1
Tourist

XL-1 with Video SK Steadicam

I have seen pix of the XL-1 mounted on the Video SK. When I try the XL-1 on the Video SK the camera is not nearly heavy enough. I had my arm upgraded a couple of years ago so it suports more weight and I suspect it has a higher minimum weight. I got a couple of dive weights(7lb)and strapped them on the back of the camera shoulder brace, but I don't think the brace is designed for that kind of weight. It is a shame because weight on the back of the camera balanced the rig very nicely. Does anyone know of a properly weighted plate that is designed to mount between the top of the stage of the Video SK Steadicam and the XL-1. If not I will have to go to a machine shop to get one made.
Ralph Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 10:29 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Can't you slide the camera futher back on the plate?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 12:58 PM   #3
Wrangler

Ech. I wrote a response to this and posted it a while back...so I thought.

Tiffen should make a weight plate but it is probably not worth the $ for such a simple part, if you have a machinist that can build you one out of steel.

Two other possibilities: an aluminum plate that allows steel weights to be attached to the back, which would solve your balance issue. Another is building the weight as a cage with top and bottom plates and four legs inbetween, which would give you the possibility of inverting the camera for low mode as well as adding weight.

Either way, make sure to have multiple mounting holes tapped so you can place your dovetail in the optimum position fore and aft, and check the side-to-side balance of the assembly by placing it on a fulcrum (like a rod) and rolling it until you find center to align the mounting holes. The XL1's mount is not centered in its center of gravity.
Old December 11th, 2003, 09:49 PM   #4
Tourist

First reply is to Rob. Yes you are right the top of the stage allows for the XL-1 to be balanced. That still does not solve the weight issue.

Second reply is to Charles. Thankyou for your insight.
The idea of bulding the weight as a cage is brilliant. If I can work it out I will be able to use the camera in low mode.
I don't know why I haven't called Tiffen. Maybe because I had a lot of trouble with them when they first acquired the Steadicam line. Anyway I need to get over my mental block and get on the horn and see just how overpriced they will be for a weight that has a few holes drilled in the right places and a couple of screws.
Ralph Madison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)