GlideCam with EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old April 12th, 2009, 03:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

GlideCam with EX3

Is anyone using the GlideCam with their EX3 Camera. I was looking at the V-16 Model and was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the GlideCam product.

Anyone using the V-16 or any other Models with the EX Camera's????

thx
Shawn Dooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #2
Trustee

Make sure you get one with an articulated arm and vest. The EX3 is too heavy to use without the arm and vest.

We purchased a Glidecam set up years ago when we purchased our Canon XL-1S (about the same size as an EX3). We cheaped out and bought it without the vest or arm. After about 20 minutes of shooting, I couldn't support the camera anymore because my arm was too tired.

I've thought about a Steadi Cam rig for our new EX3, but we've added a Letus Ultimate to it and Zacuto rods, so it's gotten pretty heavy. I haven't even looked at the price of an appropriate Steadi Cam (or Glidecam) rig, because I knew it would be very high.

Please let us know how it works out with what ever you purchase. A friend told me the Steadicam Flyer LE is the unit to buy for the EX3. I don't know about Glidecam.
Old April 12th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
Please let us know how it works out with what ever you purchase. A friend told me the Steadicam Flyer LE is the unit to buy for the EX3. I don't know about Glidecam.
thx mitchell, i'll also look at the steadicam flyer le.
Shawn Dooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I use a Glidecam V16 and get good results. I've used it with the Canon XL1s, Panasonic HVX-200 and the Sony EX1.

Some observations: The "pan" bearing seems to be the wrong type for this application. I don't think it is well suited to handle a "thrust" load. Rather it's supposed to carry axial loads. So after a while the bearing seems to bind up. If a thrust bearing were used (cone-type or roller bearing) it would retain its freedom of movement much better.

The vest is OK. But at NAB I tried a Steadicam Flyer that was rated for the same load. I noticed it was a lot more comfortable. When I tried a Glidecam system that same day (and I already had a lot of time with the Glidecam v16 by then), I noticed the same back muscles would start to tighten up. Somehow the Steadicam vest is more comfortable than the Glidecam system. Don't know what it is, but there is a definite difference for me.

Glidecam requires tools to make adjustments in balance. Steadicam doesn't.

I think the Steadicam system has available as an accessory a mount that will let you tilt the camera independently of the sled. This is a much better option than shifting the balance of the sled to get the camera tilted the where you want it.

The Steadicam system is more costly, but over time consider what the difference in cost might be over longevity and flexibility.

The V16 does the job pretty well. But if I had to buy one (I don't own the Glidecam), I'd probably invest in a Steadicam.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)