Glidecam 2000 Miscellania at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 8th, 2004, 07:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Bill-

Im going for a glidecam too -- the 2000 i think. Let me know how you like yours and if its easy to use/makes a big difference.
http://www.udpride.com
Chris Rieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 07:44 PM   #2
Major Player

This is starting to drift off topic. But I got my Glidecam 2000 a few weeks back. It works fine as long as you are patient setting it up and practicing with it. And dont have unreasonable expectations. Its not something you pull out of the box and are ready to go in 15 minutes. It wont replace a full rig or a dolly or crane.

One thing I very strongly recommend is an arm brace. I made mine for <$10. Its a piece of 7/8" dowl screwed onto a 1.25"x1/8"x10" piece of aluminum. I wrap it tightly to my forearm with wide velcro straps. It extends the usable time of the glidecam tremendously (to maybe 20 minutes).

Keep all accessories off the camera--use the small battery and no lens adapters. Forget what the manual says about using the wide angle adapter--that big chunk of glass plus the extra counterweights will break your wrist. Balance the camera with lens cap off, tape in, battery on, and lcd screen open. Use the minimum number of weights to keep the rig just slightly bottom heavy. Take extreme measures to keep the weight off and take your time. And plan on a lot of takes.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 04:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Chris,

I have a used Glidecam 2000 up for sale. It's in very good condition. If you're interested, e-mail me.

Kris
kriscarrillo@hotmail.com
Kris Carrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 05:12 PM   #4
Wrangler

I haven't tried the arm brace idea, but it sounds good. I've got a Glidecam 2000 and have only used it slightly. If would be very misleading for anyone to say it's easy to use, its very difficult. That isn't necessarily a bad thing mind you, but it takes lot of practice. Really. Don't underestimate that!

I would agree with Bill's comments, especially about not having unreasonable expectations. It's really a very low-tech, simple device that requires a lot of skill and control from the operator. You don't mention the type of camera. The lighter the better. I use a PDX-10 with it's mike and XLR box removed. Bill is right on target with the balance thing. If you screw on a filter you'll need to re-balance. or if you change the position of the LCD screen.

It can be fun and a great challenge though. Just don't plan any long takes with it, and allow a number of days.... or weeks to practice first.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 05:38 PM   #5
Wrangler

What Boyd says. If your expectations are to simply remove your footsteps from the photography, it will do this "easily". If maintaining a level horizon and consistent, exacting framing are important, it will take plenty of practice and attention.

Chances are that if you use this sort of device over a period of time, you will go through an evolution of thinking "I've mastered this sucker now!" only to look back on that footage down the road and realize that you are now twice as good as you were then, and so on and so on!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)