New stabilizer arm? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 14th, 2004, 10:34 AM   #16
Major Player

Yes it can be done. Looking at the pic you would miss it. Here is a pic of the spring adjuster:

http://homebuiltstabilizers.com/springtensioningcap.JPG

I guess you didn't see it just by looking att the first picture at first glance did you?

Well everything is detailed in my book. The design is a GPI design but in reverse. Simply put, the design uses tension springs instead of compression springs.
Old February 14th, 2004, 12:17 PM   #17
Major Player

Charles K,

Thanks for the clarification, you couldnt really see that in the photo that Lars had posted.

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2004, 12:29 PM   #18
Major Player

You are welcome.
Old February 14th, 2004, 01:36 PM   #19
Wrangler

At one of the last Malibu workshops Garrett brought along an arm he had had made as a prototype for a new version of the Steadicam Mini. Basically a downscaling of the iso-elastic concept used in the Ultra arm. By looking at it, you would think "there's nothing in there--why would that work" but it worked like gangbusters; tracked beautifully and smoothly, and very little bounce even with such little mass as a Mini setup. I should know better than to judge the effectiveness of an unfamiliar arm design by looking at it after that!

Sadly Tiffen has not implemented that design into their Mini, which still ships with an all but useless arm in comparison.

Charles, I'm curious, since you are using a vertical pin design to attach the arm to the vest, do you have a way to adjust the pitch of the arm in two axes (such as is afforded by the standard Steadicam socket block)?
Old February 14th, 2004, 01:53 PM   #20
Major Player

"Charles, I'm curious, since you are using a vertical pin design to attach the arm to the vest, do you have a way to adjust the pitch of the arm in two axes (such as is afforded by the standard Steadicam socket block)?"

That is being worked on at the moment but sadly it won't be available any time soon. I'm trying out a different approach. In the mean time, I've constructed a simple, little mundane approach to this matter.

Unfortunately I don't have my digital camera on hand to post a pic of it. When I do, I'll let you know. It's not adjustable in flight. That is, I have to remove the arm to adjust the fore and aft. I did not include a side to side due to the complication of the design. The fore and aft will have to do for the moment.
Old February 15th, 2004, 05:07 PM   #21
RED Code Chef

So what's your book going to be about Charles K.? Just describing
your experience or also a detailed howto build like Cody's plans?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 06:59 PM   #22
Major Player

Rob.

The book is basically about my rig and the methods in which I used to build it. It's like a personal journal for my rig. It's very short and concise. It explains the steadicam system invented by Mr Brown and host pics upon pics. Majority of them will be my entire rig, showing the different parts in detail.

The book will include a gallery show-casing systems built by other people. I also state my learned experices in the process as well as little tips, links etc for info and inspiration. There are pics of my dolly,matte box, steadicam systems, GPI and glidecam. It also list the many stabilizer companies there are.

I rely heavily on pics because I feel this is a very effective method in understanding something better. The entire book is filled with about 50-60% pics. It als includes thoughts by Thanh Le about building a rig. I also give my personal advice on home built rigs and little more.

This is not a show-you-how-to-build a steadicam-like device. I feel this a is more of a personal thing than a straight in you face type subject. To write such a book would be very demanding and time-consuming if one is to do it right.

Maybe a subject for someone else who has the time and patience.

On the whole it makes for good reading,browsing (if for inspiration) or just some kind of reference. I've also put a small review about Cody's plans and some other sites and forum's to visit. I've included this forum as a tip to others to check out

I do list however the tips to get one started on the road. Not much but a start.
Old February 15th, 2004, 07:03 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I didn't mean to stir up anything, Charles K. but I am glad you and the others have made up.

BTW, Great book cover. Put me down for a copy of your book.
Old February 15th, 2004, 07:08 PM   #24
Major Player

"I didn't mean to stir up anything, Charles K. but I am glad you and the others have made up."

No worries Lars. A good feud i good for the soul ;) It was just a little misunderstanding with the photo, that's all. I'm always open to criticism( only if they make sense).

Just HBS forum for updates in a couple of months, maybe sooner.
Old February 15th, 2004, 07:11 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Great to know charles. One question. Have the company who makes the steadicam know about the book? What about Garret?
Old February 15th, 2004, 07:14 PM   #26
Major Player

Tiffen himself as already requested two copies - one for the company and one for Mr. Brown to add to his collection.

I'm not too sure if Mr Brown knows but I would assume Mr. Tiffen has already informed him of the site and the book.
Old February 15th, 2004, 07:14 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Great!
Old February 15th, 2004, 09:39 PM   #28
Major Player

Hardly what I would call a "feud".

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2004, 01:47 AM   #29
Major Player

Just playing with words Casey. ;)
Old February 19th, 2004, 08:30 AM   #30
Regular Crew

when will your arm be ready, charles? Eager to see how it looks in the end.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)