Glidecam 2000 pro w/ Videomic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 29th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Glidecam 2000 pro w/ Videomic

Hey guys,

Haven't seen this brought up before, forgive me if I just missed it. I've got an HV30, Rode Videomic/ boom pole, and Glidecam 2000 pro. I'm shooting a feature and I rarely ever mount the Videomic to the HV30, since it sounds better to have it closer to the subject, with the boom pole.

My question is, do many people use the Glidecam (or something similar) with the mic, not mounted on top? (so using a 10 foot extension cable)

I tried it on Saturday and the cord seemed to be counteractive to keeping the Glidecam still. I balanced it with the cord and headphones plugged in, but when my sound man would move the pole, the weight and shifting of the chord would throw the balance of the Glidecam off.

Will I just have to mount the mic on the camera, when shooting with the Glidecam?

Scott
Scott Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hamilton View Post
Hey guys,

Haven't seen this brought up before, forgive me if I just missed it. I've got an HV30, Rode Videomic/ boom pole, and Glidecam 2000 pro. I'm shooting a feature and I rarely ever mount the Videomic to the HV30, since it sounds better to have it closer to the subject, with the boom pole.

My question is, do many people use the Glidecam (or something similar) with the mic, not mounted on top? (so using a 10 foot extension cable)

I tried it on Saturday and the cord seemed to be counteractive to keeping the Glidecam still. I balanced it with the cord and headphones plugged in, but when my sound man would move the pole, the weight and shifting of the chord would throw the balance of the Glidecam off.

Will I just have to mount the mic on the camera, when shooting with the Glidecam?

Scott
I'd just go ahead and record dual audio and sync in post when shooting with the glidecam.
Old July 29th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

As in, the onboard HV30 mic, plus Videomic with another recorder? I don't have a field recorder, but I have Pro Tools on my Macbook (really I should record audio this way, all the time, but it's just more of a hassle. I have a dual channel Presonus tube preamp, which would sound way better than the HV30 preamp). Interesting idea, thanks for the insight!
Scott Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #4
Wrangler

All cables are an annoyance when using a stabilizer. There are methods to reduce the pain by routing the cables off the rig in specific ways but the lighter the rig, the more negative influence they will have. It's best to avoid them when possible.

This goes for loose cables on the rig also--make sure everything is tied down so it can't flop around when you are operating.
Old July 30th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #5
Major Player

Any cables which connect to your camera while on a stabilizer will be a nightmare, even a super lightweight headphone cable. Even more so on the lighter rigs.

I think most pros use wireless units for video and if they do have a cable they route it all over the rig and down their arm. If it pulls, even slightly it will upset your balance.
Old August 15th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #6
New Boot

With all the advances in technology nowadays you think people would go away from traditional means.

Have you considered BLUETOOTH. the Headphone jack adapters are not all that expensive (35-45.00)
Amazon.com: 3.5mm Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Audio Dongle Adapter for CD/DVD Players MP3 MP4 PC PDAs iPod PSP any 3.5mm Jack Device: Electronics
and
Amazon.com: A 210 Jabra Bluetooth Adapter: Health & Personal Care
coupled with headphones
Amazon.com: Sony DRBT50 Stereo Bluetooth Headset: Electronics
or cheaper options.

i personally use these, which come with an adapter.
Amazon.com: iLuv Bluetooth Stereo Earclips for iPod - Black (I202): Electronics

i just migrated them to camera use along with my normal running use. they arent the BEST quality, but they work for a wireless situation

as for a Microphone cable if you route it to the top of the camera, and go from the top and to the boom, you SHOULD be able to use it without upsetting the balance
Grant Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)