DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   I just ordered a Magiqcam!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/26135-i-just-ordered-magiqcam.html)

Douglas Akers June 8th, 2004 03:22 PM

Charles P,
Yes, I have studied many of those steadicam shots and some of them are my faves.
The framing and staging thing is my weakest point right now.
My head room floats a little and keeping one eye on the monitor and one on the ground is quite a challenge.
I seem to favor the less complex shots of say, Full Metal Jacket, where the camera leads the actors and then follows.
By saying "less complex", I am by no means implying they were easy to shoot, only that they seem to have simpler staging.
The shot I have been watching over and over lately is the "Head Over Heals" scene from Donnie Darko.
There are a couple of hidden cuts in there but I love it none the less.
I have to say Charles, that I've read just about every post you've made and your wisdom gave me the confidence to attempt this crazy idea of operating a "steadicam"
Thank you again!!
By this fall, I hope to have some of the footage from this horror movie I'm shooting posted online for critique.
I'll let you know how it all goes after I get back from location on the 22nd.
Cheers!

Charles Papert June 8th, 2004 04:33 PM

Sounds great!

One of my good buddies, Dave Chameides, did the Steadicam on "Donnie Darko". He's done some amazing work, especially on "ER" and "West Wing" a few years back. That reminds of another "marathon" shot he did on "The Wedding Planner"--the good news is that it comes right at the beginning of the movie so you don't have to watch the rest of it!

I only recommend these sorts of moves to watch because there's so much to be got out of them. As for me, I've only done a couple of "wow" shots in my career, most of my stuff gets chopped up into little bits so that you'd never recognize it for Steadicam. Which is sort of the idea, but it doesn't get much attention that way. 95% of feature and episodic Steadicam is leading people down a hallway as invisibly as possible.

Consistent headroom is something that takes quite a while to master. Using the boom of the arm to make quick adjustments is key, it's a lot easier than tilting.

Rob Lohman June 9th, 2004 02:01 AM

You certainly want to watch "Donnie Darko" fully. Heck, the new
Director's Cut is coming out which actually is supposed to be even
better!

Ed Liew June 9th, 2004 09:24 PM

found this magiqcam posting on ebay with photos of the magiqcam new design and look. just follow the link - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3319&item=3820649982&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Scott Balkum June 9th, 2004 09:34 PM

That is interesting. I wonder if I will be getting a free hard case too?

Ed Liew June 10th, 2004 12:44 AM

only if you order yours through ebay if i'm not mistaken.

Scott Balkum June 22nd, 2004 11:07 AM

I just got an email, mine should be shipping this week. YEAAAHH!...

doubling up on the situps now.

Jean-Philippe Archibald June 22nd, 2004 11:15 AM

Scott,

Good news!

Don't forget to put some pics online!

Ed Liew June 22nd, 2004 08:44 PM

scott,
certainly is good news. how long did you wait for yours. i'm in the 10 weeks now.

ed

Ed Liew June 25th, 2004 09:52 PM

just got my mail too. was told mine will ship out on the 29th.

Scott Balkum June 25th, 2004 10:01 PM

Ed, glad to hear it. I didn't respond to your last post because I was afraid of my answer. Mine was coming but I have only been waiting 5 weeks. You had been waiting 10 and I was afraid to think that I was getting mine before you. But, I guess he builds them in groups. I am glad we are getting them. Mine is shipping on the 29th as well.

Steven Wills June 26th, 2004 10:22 AM

Just wondering..

I'm thinking of buying one in the next few weeks. Tell me, what do you think...it seems the thread dropped off and I need to know!

Thanks

Ed Liew June 26th, 2004 10:54 AM

steve,
one advice i can give is post questions on this forum. i only get promp replies when i post a question here. john seldom reply to my mail after the money is through.
i'm thankful for this forum and people here.

best of luck,
ed

Steven Wills June 26th, 2004 12:15 PM

Who is John?

So, is it all you expected?

Scott Balkum June 26th, 2004 12:29 PM

John is the manufacturer of the Magiqcam. In all fairness, I assume that he has a day job and a family and doesn't do this full time. I notice that his phone hours are in the evening so I assume he is working during the day.

He is a nice guy trying to make it and, as far as I have heard, makes an excellent product, but I will know more next week when mine arrives.

This forum is excellent.

I just finished phase 1 of my new crane. Now, I get to post on that topic. :)