I just ordered a Magiqcam!! - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 20th, 2004, 11:05 PM   #121
Major Player

I've got a question about attaching a monitor with an anton bauer battery to the Magiqcam. I was thinking about getting that new Panasonic 7" monitor that everyone's talking about. The battery converter that Panasonic sells with it, makes it so the battery attaches to the back. That's not how you'd want to do it with a steadicam right? I'm sure you'd want to mount the battery to the opposite side.

Here's what I don't understand: How do you power a monitor with an anton bauer battery without buying that attachment? Also, do they sell special mounts for mounting your battery to a steadicam? I don't need a monitor yet, but I'm thinking about getting an XL2... in which case, I'll want a monitor.

"Good taste is the enemy of creativity" - Picasso

Blog: http://www.tonyhall.name
Tony Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 02:50 AM   #122
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Ed Liew : its cheaper to order through ebay and the package offered usually come with a case.
mark, how is your testing coming along? do you have to adjust the sled lenght to the maximum to get get the balance with dv500 and how many np1 battery do you use at one time?

ed -->>>

Or you can ask them in the mail about extending their ebay offer to you as well.
Old July 21st, 2004, 05:08 AM   #123
Major Player

tony,
my advice to you is that you give john the anton gold mount measurement. magiqcam universal battery holder only fit np1 battery casing. i've got a workshop to help me make a larger plate so that the anton mount can be fitted onto the universal mount. while waiting for the plate to be ready, i cann't fly my camera on it. i'm using the panasonic agdvc200 camcorder.

ed
Ed Liew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2004, 02:27 AM   #124
Major Player

Ok, I don't have an Anton Bauer, so I could look into getting one of those NP-1 batteries instead. Can I power the Panasonic LCD monitor with an NP-1 battery and if so, how? Is there a webpage with a FAQ or tutorial on this? Sorry for the Sesame Street question... I'm sure this is common knowledge, but I'm sorta new at this.

Old July 22nd, 2004, 07:02 PM   #125
Major Player

tony,
if i'm not mistaken, it has a canon 4 pin 12v input at the back.

ed
Ed Liew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2004, 07:14 PM   #126
Major Player

Let me ask a more basic question:

how do you power an LCD monitor with a large battery like an NP-1. I'd prefer to use a large battery because it would help balance my Magiqcam.

Old July 26th, 2004, 08:57 AM   #127
Regular Crew

Sheesh. still waiting for my magiqcam...

so before I go mad, I will post yet another amazing steadicam scene/film.

In fact the whole film in a take !

Yes you've guessed it, the Russian bore-train Russia Ark. Its such a landamark that I HAVE to own it on DVD (sooner, than later) since I feel asleep at the cinema coz I don't really know the history of Mother Russia.

lol.

Super backbreaker !!! (did they use firestore or someother harddisk solution on that Sony ? ~ Anyone ? Charles. P ?)
Old July 26th, 2004, 11:23 AM   #128
Wrangler

They used a custom hard drive rack that was wheeled around behind the operator at some distance. There are articles about in online that I read a while back, a search might turn up the details.

I have a copy of the movie courtesy of our good friend Rob Lohman sitting on my shelf, waiting to be viewed. From what I've heard, it's an interesting achievement, beautiful in places, a bit ponderous in others. There is a reason that cutting was invented...!
Old August 2nd, 2004, 02:12 PM   #129
RED Code Chef

Still haven't watched it eh <g>

Yes it is a good thing not every movie is done this way. But I
think it kinda fits that particular movie. It is quite a "european"
movie and definitely not something mainstream. There is a small
making of on the disc as well. The behind the scenes does talk
about how they accomplished it all. You'll be quite amazed at
how many people where both working behind the camera to get
it all done and how many people actually acted in the movie.

Now go watch it Charles!

p.s. I'm still waiting for the picture with you and the DVD
thanking me for your life changing experience..... <g>

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 12:02 PM   #130
Regular Crew

sheesh. looks like I'll never get my magiqcam in time for mini-celeb friend's wedding this sunday, let alone practices for a flowing sequence throughout.

Old August 12th, 2004, 12:25 PM   #131
Wrangler

Well, I did watch "Russian Ark" and I pretty much stand by what I had heard about it:

<< it's an interesting achievement, beautiful in places, a bit ponderous in others.>>>

Yes, yes and yes.

There have been a few films shot this year that have used the same concept that I have heard about. One is a thriller that involves three houses on the same street (all one take); another has multiple 16-minute shots that are blended together (a la Hitchcock's "Rope") that was shot on Super 16mm. Neither have been released yet.

Wesley, I'm sorry to hear that your order is delayed. That's a drag.
Old August 12th, 2004, 01:05 PM   #132
Regular Crew

Well nobody's fault really.
thanks for listening, Charles P and the other members ?

Indeed I fell asleep because 'Ark' was lingering around. But guess it has braggging rights now. Read somewhere the 3rd take turned out to be the charm and they had only 1 day to shoot it in the Musuem of Russian history. Plus they built one exactly on a soundstage for a howle year's rehearsal or something.

yeah. I really need to collect all those hitchkock movies to revist them.

houses on the same street ? reminds me of halloween.
Old August 12th, 2004, 01:16 PM   #133
Wrangler

I think it was the 4th take; yes, they only had one day to shoot but as far as building a replica on a soundstage...!! That would be some soundstage!! And then why not just shoot it there under controlled conditions? The rehersals and walkthroughs that are shown on the DVD are all at the Hermitage itself. I believe they did some camcorder rehearsals, and some partial ones with the full-blown Steadicam, but never the whole enchilada with all the extras.
Old August 12th, 2004, 08:05 PM   #134
Micro35

Magiqcam Monitor

What monitor do you guys recommend for the Magiqcam? I'm about to order a series IIa and I'm not certain on which monitor to get. I use a DVX100a.

Thanks for any suggestions!
James Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2004, 10:12 AM   #135
Regular Crew

Well I ordered the cheaper Varizoom monitor, only to leave it late to tell John that I have a PAL version of DVX100A . so now it's up to him to put a replacement there somewhere.

I dunno but I've heard good things about the panny 7" , you may want to try that out. panny should work best with panny accesories , no ?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)