Steadicam JR or Glidecam 2k? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old May 29th, 2004, 05:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Steadicam JR or Glidecam 2k?

Just been reading lots of old posts on Steadicams, Glidecams, Magiqcams, and so on. I'm now thinking that the Steadicam JR would probably be best for me (I use a PDX-10) but I'm still thinking about the Glidecam 2000, with the forearm brace.

Whilst there are plenty of comments I couldn't find any direct comparisons between the two, either here or from Google. Has anyone used both, and/or have any views on how they compare?

I realise that the Steadicam JR is more expensive, but it includes a monitor.
Pat Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2004, 12:17 AM   #2
New Boot

Well I cannot compare, but I can comment on the Glidecam2k.

I just setup mine and fine tuned it to 99% perfection. My only complaint is the weight. My arm/wrist starts to ache pretty quickly. I'm sure after some use, I'll develop the new muscles required to carry it. The forearm brace or body pod must be a great addon.

My test footage is super smooth. The product works as advertised. There is a bit of a learning curve to handling the device while running/walking/etc., mostly to do with framing/composing the shot while watching your step too.

Because I have a very lightweight DV camcorder attached to it (1.1 lb), I had to go to the hardware store and purchase some extra bottom weights in smaller weight increments. I also had to have some sheet metal cut and drilled to add to the top to make the camcorder heavier. The manufacturer suggests 2-2.5 lbs minimum camcorder weight. I also added a bogen/manfrotto 3270 adapter plate to the top so that I can quick release the camcorder without "undoing" the Glidecam top plate setting.

Hope this helps,
warren
Warren Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2004, 12:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback Warren. If I went for the Glidecam 2000 I would certainly get the forearm brace to go with it. Right now I'm leaning towards the Steadicam JR though.

And yes, I hear that both are good for acquiring new muscles. I'll have to remember to change arms regularly so I don't end up with one bigger than the other.
Pat Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2004, 05:53 PM   #4
Major Player

Pat

you ought to take a look at the HCS-PRO, I use it regularly with the PDX-10 and would recommend it over the JR, which is heavier and more expensive, although not as cool looking.

It uses a frictionless mechanism (a needle in a cup- just like Garrett Brown first imagined)

http://www.b-hague.co.uk/Camcorder%2...zer%20HCS3.htm

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2004, 07:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the link John. It seems that there are plenty of these type of devices around now. I'd never heard of this one before.
Pat Chaney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)