Steadicam JR quick release? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old June 18th, 2004, 12:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Steadicam JR quick release?

Just got myself a Steadicam JR. I haven't had a chance to set it up yet, but it seems clear that getting a quick release adaptor would be a good idea.

Any recommendations on what would be most suitable? It will be used on a PDX10 if that makes any difference.
Pat Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 11:27 AM   #2
Major Player

I know we are expecting a new "JR" soon, but I am not sure of what price point it will hit and what sort of quick release system it will have. I doubt it will be compatible with my 503 and 505's. I am looking at putting this on a "JR":

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=241139&is=REG
I know it has a sliding plate, but shouldnt it work if you were careful to slide it into the exact same position when you mount?
Kevin James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:03 AM   #3
Major Player

The "problem" with that sliding plate (and I'm no expert) is that: If you have a fairly heavy camera--this may bring the total weight over the limit.

Anytime you add weight to the top....you sometimes have to also add weight to the bottom to counterbalance the top--effectively "doubling" the added weight of the Quick release plate.

The plate also raises the center of gravity of your camera--so that can be an issue with the JR when you adjust the pistol grip. Z axis...

Of course, if your camera is light and you needed weight anyway....this will be a good set up.

You can make a mark on the plate so you know where to re-attach your camera.

If you don't put it back "exactly" one turn of the JRs fore/aft knob should get it perfect.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 12:37 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I'm very interested in this quick release plate for my JR. Do I understand this correctly, and the plate will slide back and forth until you tighten it in place with the knob? That's perfect for the JR, since I would be able to add or take off filters without having to change mounting holes under the camera. Raising the center of gravity would also be a good thing in my case. How heavy is this beast? I'm already pushing the 4 lb limit, although I've got plenty of weights left. I'm pretty sure the JR could handle a fair amount of more weight though.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 10:00 PM   #5
Major Player

I'd recommend getting a small top loading quick release plate. The sliding plate will make it difficult to keep your balance when you've removed your camera.

It will be difficult to balance if you're camera is more than 3 pounds because it not only adds weight to the camera side but it shifts the weight of the camera over a notch which a science guy could explain, but we know from common sense that it makes a big differnce (like a teeter totter).

"Good taste is the enemy of creativity" - Picasso

Blog: http://www.tonyhall.name
Tony Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 10:45 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The more I look at that thing, the more unsure I am about what it does exactly. Can someone please explain exactly what a sliding plate is?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 11:15 PM   #7
Major Player

The point of that plate (for me) is so that I can use the existing plates on my DVC30's that slide right into my 503 and 505 heads. That adapter allows you to turn anyhting with a threaded screw into a compatible quick release system for bogen 50x series QR plates.
Kevin James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2005, 08:40 AM   #8
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Tony Hall : I'd recommend getting a small top loading quick release plate. The sliding plate will make it difficult to keep your balance when you've removed your camera.
-->>>

(I hope I'm not sounding like a wet blanket)

I have that same top loading Bogen QR that I've used on my JR. It has a silver lever which requires *quite* a bit of force to release the plate(when removing the camera). It works pretty for me and my old camera.

The downside for me personally is this: since the receiver assembly itself is mounted to the stage of the JR with just one screw...the receiver tends to rotates on the JR's stage unless I hold on real tight when I remove the camera. (I know...a pain in the butt.)

Other than that...it works well.

One more thought:

You guys should also consider mounting the QR plate the on the lower spar itself and leave the camera mounted directly on the JR.

You can then put the folded JR(with camera still attached) directly on the tripod.

[And of course--the plate will cause another re-balancing issue is this will make the JR "front heavy"--but useful if you need to add weight there....]
John C. Chu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)