Who all has built a homebuilt steadycam? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old July 10th, 2004, 11:44 AM   #1
New Boot

Who all has built a homebuilt steadycam?

Hi all. Yep, I'm new here. I am planning to build a steaycam system. Well, at least try to anyway. I was wondering how many people have built themselve a rig. It would be nice to see those systems as well.
Another thing, are any being used successfully by videographers? Thanks.
Old July 11th, 2004, 07:08 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

There are quite a lot of people on this site that have built them.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2004, 08:19 AM   #3
Major Player

I've shown hundreds (really!) of people how to build their own. It's not that difficult. Go for it!

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Dan Selakovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2004, 10:17 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

Dan I'm wondering how everyone says it is quite a difficult thing
to do (especially if you want to make a GOOD rig) and requires
some engineering skill and you say it is easy basically. Some
explenation would be welcomed. What kind of rigs did you built?
Any pictures or movies with those?

Old July 11th, 2004, 10:28 AM   #5
New Boot

Wow! That link you posted is awesome! That look like the real thing. Something like that can't be that easy to build. I mean those guys must have put alot of work into building it. There was one rig, I it was Charles rig, if I'm not mistaken, that really looked awesome. He has also written a book too. I'll be getting it soon. Anyone bought the book?

I also visited the forum to check it out and it seems thare are nice people with strong devotion the steadicam. They seem almost too devoted. :)

Has anybody used their rig to fly a film camera? Now that would be interesting to see.
Old July 11th, 2004, 10:41 AM   #6
Trustee

I bought the Charles' book as well as the Cody's plans. Two must have books if you are looking to build a rig. Well illustrated, well written, awesome! I am in the process of building a rig myself, mostly based on the Cody design and these two books helps me a lot!
Old July 11th, 2004, 11:02 AM   #7
New Boot

Thanks Jean for your recommendation but which book did you get? Cody has one and Charles has three. Which one of the three did you get? Here's the link to the webshop: http://www.cafeshops.com/hbsbooks
Old July 11th, 2004, 11:03 AM   #8
RED Code Chef

I also bought Cody's Camera Stabilizer Plans.

No time as of yet to do anything with them, though.

Old July 11th, 2004, 11:12 AM   #9
Old Boot

I have a Canon XM2.

For the past 2 years I've been hunting for "the" design. I've spent hours and hours looking and reading. I've tried all types of shoulder and suspending type of machines for my XM2 . . but do you know what? I can't for the life of me get on with any of them. They don't "feel" organic or natural.

I know I'm in awe at the ingenuity of individuals with what they've come up with, but as of yet, none feel right or correct. The nearest I've got to what I regard as a "sweet" design is the Anton Bauer set-up. It just feels right on the shoulder, holds a battery and can be used straight onto the tripod. But, the price is magnificent too!

So, that's me . . still looking .. and still wondering about what others have produced.

Best regards,

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2004, 11:17 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I too bought Charles's book and I have not regreted. His book really digest things down in layman terms. I like that. No big fancy words to describe something complicated. I for one have never been the type to understand all the big technical terms but Charles does his best with this book.
The book is more about how he build his Steadycam. He also explains the pros and cons and what not to do. He gives lots of suggestions, as well as many tips to build a system of your own.
I think I understand the Steadicam system better now then I did before. A big plus for the book.
Both Charles and Cody are very devoted people who know the concept of the steadycam system.
Old July 11th, 2004, 11:28 AM   #11
New Boot

Wow! some really good post here. I like. Keep'em coming.
Old July 11th, 2004, 12:06 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Simon. I just checked the link you posted. The other two books are not yet available. I was already with my credit card when you mention he had already put out two more books. :)

I think Charles said that the book he's doing for modifying the Glidecam sled will be out by the end of this month/beginning of the next.
Well, I can't wait for them. His other book about his past and present rigs look interesting too.
Old July 11th, 2004, 12:10 PM   #13
New Boot

Yeah, I noticed after checking a second time. Oh well, no problem. I'll just buy the one he has now and buy the others when they come out.

I like to think one can fly a homemade steadycam in a semi professional field but it would have to look good as well as perform well in oder to do so.
Old July 11th, 2004, 12:33 PM   #14
Major Player

Oh yeah. Now you all know I have to jump in. Homebuilt stabilizers! - Can't keep me out even if you tried. ;)

Simon, Homebuilt rigs are not for everybody let alone building them. Regardless of what people say, it takes time and patience. Some would think it's as easy as just knocking two pieces of metal together.

It's only easy if you are not too serious about it and really don't mind the quality of the finish work. Another thing that people don't think is regardless of the unit, you must practice to get perfect shots. Charles P. has stated this time and time again, and I concur hundred times over.

One thing I don't do is, encourage people to build. I prefer to inspire than to say go out and build one and you will get perfect shots.

There are certain elements that need special attention - like the gimbal for instance. One false move and you'll pay for it with the system going of balance regularly. I always say, if you want a descent gimbal then get it machined. You won't regret.

I have chosen to build my system and have been doing so for the past 7 1/2 years. Boy! that long?!! Well, I enjoy it. I always try to better the system even if it means spending more time. That's the key, having the time to produce something of quality will result in a happy operator - ME! ;)

You have to know what you want in a system and what you are willing to sacrifice in order to get the system that you want. Sure you can build a hand held version and practice with it. If it's not a hobby then you will crave for something better and that's where a full rig will come to play.

Don't be discourage by what I'm saying. It's better to know the truth up front and be prepared than walking in ingnorant to the facts. One thing is certain - it can be done but you have to be willing to go the extra mile.

Oh yeah, here is a link I posted of a member of HBS who flew a film camera with his HB rig : http://www.andreaskielb.de/test.htm

Eat your heart out ;)
Old July 11th, 2004, 02:16 PM   #15
New Boot

wow! Thanks Charles. It's the man himself. Thanks for clarifying things for me. I will definately heed your advice. I probably know the stacks and I am willing to to the extra mile as you put it.

That link you posted was a big plus. This an awesome prove that it can be done. This is the first time I've seen a homemade steadycam flying a film camera - Awesome! Now I'm definately inspired.

Thanks again for your website, Charles. It's one amazing site. The first of it's kind. Great job inputting it together. BTW, you have built so many rigs according to the pics you posted. Do you still have any that you might want to sell?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)