Lanc control on the Pilot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 17th, 2009, 01:38 AM   #1
Trustee

Lanc control on the Pilot

buggerising about with the pilot on Vimeo

rather than explain I thought I'd use the HV30 to ask the question.
Old August 18th, 2009, 02:41 AM   #2
Trustee

Well obviously that didn't work. I'll try writing the question.

is there any reason I can't or shouldn't use a Lanc control on a steadicam. I've run the cable through the gimble and around the pole and it seems to be working okay - just wondering if there's some really good reasons not to do it?

It's just that I think it would be really handy during weddings to be able to quickly reframe the shot or adjust aperture etc without wobbling the cam.
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Well, I wouldn't run the cable through the gimbal personally, for fear of the cable pinching and binding and ruining shots.

Otherwise the principle is sound. Zoom controls are used all the time by live concert Steacicam operators. The control you have looks big and bulky but if you can still operate without restriction and without accidentally bumping into a control, then go for it.

The other thing that can limit you is the cable itself. Big rig operators use expensive, custom-made cables made of very thin, very flexible material, to replace the stock cable. This is to minimize the problem of a stiff thick cable upsetting the operating characteristics of a rig, forcing you to a heavy touch and over-controlling the rig.

Practice with it, try a few variations of how you string the cable, and see if you like it and if it helps you get the shots you want.
Mark Schlicher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)