DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   looking for john from magiqcam (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/31013-looking-john-magiqcam.html)

Ed Liew August 26th, 2004 05:09 AM

looking for john from magiqcam

hi all,
i'm trying to get hold of john, magiqcam. don't seem to be able to reach him through email. john, if you are reading this, please can you reply to my mail.
thank you.

ed

Tony Hall August 26th, 2004 11:17 AM

I think there was something wrong with his email. I tried to email him about a week ago and didn't get a response. So, I tried again yesterday. He replied and said that he never received my first message. Try emailing him now or try calling. My Magiqcam will be ready next week!

Scott Balkum August 26th, 2004 11:36 AM

He answers his phone. I have never had a problem calling him. His email response is slow, but I imagine it's because he only checks it once or twice a day.

Give him a call.

Ed Liew August 26th, 2004 07:50 PM

i have send him a couple of mail wtih regards to support to my rig. he did reply twice but without offering any help to solving my problem. thats why i'm trying here. i know he check on this site quite often, reason being i will get a respond from them everytime i post a question with regard to their product.
btw, anyone of you having problem with the york part of the rig? mine, first, the bearing is not working. john said its most probably bad bearing and thats it. now another problem i'm facing is, the two bearing supporting the gimbal, one of it is dislocated. i manage to push it back to position but its dislocate again when i'm setting the rig while checking for drop time.
any help or suggestion. i've not been flying the rig for almost two weeks now.

ed

Ed Liew August 27th, 2004 05:33 AM

send another email to john a while ago.
a favour i would like to ask folks here, if anyone by chance be contacting john, could you let him know ed from malaysia is looking for him. appreciate all the help.

ed

Wesley Wong August 30th, 2004 12:25 AM

I'm still waiting for my magiqcam too, ed. I haven't heard from him in a while.

Ed Liew August 31st, 2004 05:34 AM

hi wesley,
what i would say is, it will come one day but definately not in 4 or 5 weeks. the last time, i was told by one of my equipment reseller here who was interested with the rig, that the delay was due to john wife being hospitalised. he never mention that in our correspondance.
if you wanna have a look or feel of the rig, i can sort of bring it down to jb. i've got a coverage there for 3 days. i wouldn't be able to use it though due to one broken part. and this is the reason why i'm looking for john to help me solve my problem.
anyway, good luck with the wait and i would say, theirs not a scam.

ed

Wesley Wong August 31st, 2004 09:23 AM

ok, that's comforting. Best wishes to John and family. Just that buying overseas, especially through internet, is the least reassuring and e-mail, although a great invention, doesn't give you assurance.

Will wait patiently. I haven't really promised any of my gigs steadicam coverage yet, so I'm not in hot soup.

Thanks for the offer Ed, although I don't see I can find time to hope over even to JB to see your shoot in action ! All the best !

can't remember what camera you are using and for what purpose (i.e. : indie shorts or broadcast production)

Ed Liew August 31st, 2004 07:49 PM

i'm using a panasonic dvc200. we work with afew corporate client on their visual needs. if you got time, this is our site http://visualline.web1000.com
good luck.

ed

Ed Liew September 1st, 2004 07:25 PM

just receive two reply from john. some server down or something, but i'm glad he reply.

ed

Terry Thompson September 23rd, 2004 11:44 AM

http://visualline.web1000.com

Ed,

I just watched your demo reel and was impressed. Some nice effects etc. Was it shot using the DVC200?
I live fairly close (1 hour away) to John from Magicam but haven't actually met him. Do you like your stabilizer?
Just thought I would let you know I saw and liked the reel.

Terry

Wesley Wong September 23rd, 2004 01:34 PM

Well Ed, I'm still patiently waiting for my magicam.

Ed + Terry , am I getting the right URL ? I keep getting directed to : http://www.paysforsurveys.com/ if I use the exact URL Ed listed above...

just curious.

P.S. : was busy working on 2 wedding videos and another community service coastal conservation video coming up... didn't have time to surf dvinfo much, but Charles P has a fab steadicam demo going there...

Giroud Francois September 23rd, 2004 03:34 PM

if you like cheap stabilizer there is a french product that is really good.
http://www.laigleparis.fr
see more picture on
http://www.dvforever.com/article.php3?id_article=111
note that it is one of the few stab using back support.
It is a tremendous difference with model with front support.

Charles Papert September 23rd, 2004 07:16 PM

Giroud, have you used or own this system? It does have quite a design flair, and I am interested in the arm system being used (compression springs?).

Yes, the backmounted harness is a great way to go. I've been working that way for about a year and it's definitely better on the body, if it is fitted right.

I did notice in the right hand picture on this page that the position of both harness and arm is causing the system to lean away from the body substantially; note the angle presented at the elbow hinge. This continues to be one of the red flags with many lightweight stabilizers. It forces the operator to keep a death grip on the gimbal handjust to keep the rig from flying away, which is undesirable to say the least (and causes additional fatigue).

Ed Liew September 23rd, 2004 09:01 PM

hi terry,
thank you for the comments. are you in the video production line too?

most of the newer production were shoot using dvc200. pretty good quality picture but not so good with reliability - the camcorder. thinking of going for the dvc pro 410 early next year.

as for the magiqcam, i feel that for the price, its worthy a good product and i really like john welding work. not to say the vest. just top class.

for practicality, some of the design, i think, is just a little off - mainly on the sled itself. also, one thing about the vest is that, the two front adjustment screws should be make the other way round. i find it a bit difficult to position the nuts inside the vest when we want to adjust the vest height.

let hope that john will come out with a more pratical version in the future.

ed

Wesley Wong September 28th, 2004 08:32 AM

Mine's finally shipped. I can't wait

Giroud Francois September 28th, 2004 11:50 AM

in reply to Charles Papert
No i do not have the "eagle from paris" because i got for years now a modified glidecam and do not afford to buy a 2nd stab. befor selling the first one.
I think the back support and the arm are looking good enough to decide anybody who knows a bit about stab. to choose this one.

Ed Liew September 28th, 2004 08:02 PM

good for you wesley.

giroud, is there an english site for this rig? i like the arm, very well made.

ed

Charles King September 28th, 2004 10:24 PM

Alright Ed. I've managed to find a review on the L'aile stabilizer or the eagle stabilizer in english, which was done in french but I had it translated using Babel:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...3D111&lp=fr_en

Ed Liew September 29th, 2004 11:19 AM

thanks charles.

ed

Charles King September 29th, 2004 11:53 AM

No problem.

Terry Thompson October 3rd, 2004 11:45 PM

Ed,

(thank you for the comments. are you in the video production line too?)

I have done a number of private long projects as well as weddings and music videos. I like the music videos best.

I use an Indicam stabilization system which is for smaller to mid-sized cameras and found there is a problem when using it for weddings. The problem is when you are shooting with a steadycam system (spelled steadycam which is a generic name and not Steadicam for Tiffen's systems) it's hard not to upstage the bride and groom. It's too bad you can't be invisible as well as smooth.

Did you find Magiqcam's web site? I have it at:

http://www.magiqcam.com/products2.htm

Hope this helps.

Terry

Dave Stewart November 17th, 2004 03:03 AM

John's for real. He just takes a while to respond as he is very busy. I have my magiqam and it's really nice. I bought the original magicam at this site right here and john upgraded my sled for a VERY reasonable price. I bought the magicam originally for $1100 and I'm ticked silly with it. Sorry, you won't find that kind of a deal now. The new sled is a pleasure to balance and the gimbal is smooth as silk It's funny to see an arm for $6500 to look very similar to my magicam. Yes, I'm sure it's nicer, but I doubt it's $5400 nicer.

Charles King November 17th, 2004 03:26 AM

Well Dave if you can be so kind as to share some pics. Saying it is okay but seeing is even more of a joy ;)

Tony Hall November 17th, 2004 07:08 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Dave Stewart : John's for real. He just takes a while to respond as he is very busy. I have my magiqam and it's really nice. I bought the original magicam at this site right here and john upgraded my sled for a VERY reasonable price. I bought the magicam originally for $1100 and I'm ticked silly with it. Sorry, you won't find that kind of a deal now. The new sled is a pleasure to balance and the gimbal is smooth as silk It's funny to see an arm for $6500 to look very similar to my magicam. Yes, I'm sure it's nicer, but I doubt it's $5400 nicer. -->>>

I've seen pictures of the new gimbal, but it just looks more heavy-duty. What's the big deal about the new sled really? I'd just like to know in what way does it preform better. You said it's a pleasure to balance, I just don't understand how anything could be a pleasure to balance :)

Ed Liew November 17th, 2004 09:53 AM

hi tony,
where can we see the pics you mention? saw some new pics posted on ebay but the gimbal is similiar to the one i got as a replacement. only difference was its black in color, mine not.
dave, how much did you paid for the new sled?

ed

Dave Stewart November 17th, 2004 12:08 PM

The sled is lighter, powder coated, the bearings seem more smooth, but the most improved is the camera mount. It accepts a bogen tripod plate which allows for easy removal of the camera, plus easy front-back balancing. Also, side to side balancing is more refined, easy, and secure. My camera would come loose with the old mount. Also, you couldn't balance the camera properly and had to swing the weights at the bottom to achieve balance which I understand is a no no.

Charles King November 17th, 2004 12:34 PM

Nice to hear Dave but don't you have any pics to share, man?

Ed Liew November 17th, 2004 08:29 PM

totally agree with charles. we want picture 8)

ed

Dave Stewart November 17th, 2004 10:05 PM

Ok. I had to drag it out of the closet. Take it out of the case. Take pics. And try fo remember how to set up my ftp program, remember passwords, upload etc. to get this to you. I how you appreciate it.

Dave

http://www.awesomedental.com/images/sled%20images/

Charles King November 17th, 2004 10:17 PM

Thanks Dave. Much appreciated. You have now proven my suspisions. I thought he had totally done a complete make-over on all parts. Now seeing the pics, I can see they were not what I had suspected.
See; pics say a thousand words, that's why I wanted to see the pics. Thanks alot man. Great effort.

One question though. Do you use a monitor with the sled? Where do you put it? I see weights on both end of the sled and just was wondering where you put the monitor. It doesn't seem to be any place left.

Dave Stewart November 18th, 2004 01:24 PM

No. I do a lot of things outside on sunny days and a monitor is too washed out even with a sunshade. I bought some decent video glasses and where them with a hat. Works great. Works with my crane too.
What don't you like about the sled? Remember I bought mine used for $1100, so don't get too critical.

Charles King November 18th, 2004 01:40 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Dave Stewart : No. I do a lot of things outside on sunny days and a monitor is too washed out even with a sunshade. I bought some decent video glasses and where them with a hat. Works great. Works with my crane too.
What don't you like about the sled? Remember I bought mine used for $1100, so don't get too critical. -->>>

Video glasses? Care to explain?

I did not mean anything about the sled. I jwas just curious to know why there was no monitor or battery on the sled which are the two most important things to have on the sled. I just saw the weights in place of where both items were suppose to be.

Dave Stewart November 18th, 2004 04:04 PM

I use a pair of video glasses by "eyetop". They plug into the video out on the camera and display a small image in your right or left eye. The display appears about the same size as a viewfinder, in color and about the same resolution. I basically use it to frame the shot as focus isn't possible manually on a steadycam. It takes some getting used to, but it works for me. I can keep my head up and can see other action going on around me and I'm less likely to trip or run into people.

Charles King November 18th, 2004 04:37 PM

Well Dave if it works for you then fine. As long as you are satisfied.

Ed Liew November 18th, 2004 09:02 PM

dave,
great pics. but almost the same as my earlier unit. can you indicate where is the sliding gimbal as mention.

ed

Dave Stewart November 18th, 2004 09:30 PM

The sliding part is the tripod mount which can be slid front to back and locked down. The left-right adjustments are done with the thumbscrews underneath. You can slide the tripod mount left and right by loosening the thumbscrews on the bottom. There's a piece a felt between the base and the tripod mount which allows for smooth, incremental adjustments. Worm gear type adjustments would be the best, but more $$$. I don't know what "earlier" unit you had, but my old sled had a flat box on it with a bunch of holes in it to attach the camera in various locations. It wasn't very accurate and my camera would come loose. Also there were four thumbscrews to pull apart the box to get to the camera attachement screw - time consuming and a pain to balance. It would be nice, however, to have an easier locking machanism on the extending parts of the sled. Rather than an allen wrench, a bicycle seat clamp of some sort would be easier.

Ed Liew November 18th, 2004 09:50 PM

thanks dave. sorry i did not read your post correctly. i was thinking of the new sliding gimbal john offer to replace for me.

ed

Charles Papert November 19th, 2004 07:53 PM

The "video glasses" concept isn't a new one, Charles--I'll be you've seen pix of Garrett with his prototype rig from the early 70's with the fiber optic viewfinder attached to his head! Over the years a number of operators have toyed with using the evolving vintages of the heads-up technology instead of a monitor on the sled. It hasn't truly caught on for one reason or another, but I wouldn't discount it for the future.

This technology is commonly used for handheld jibs and other setups like running with a handheld camera cradled in the arms or held by the handle etc. The point-of-view virtual reality scenes in "Strange Days" were shot like this.

Charles King November 19th, 2004 10:35 PM

Thanks for the explaination C.P. I new what he meant but I wanted to know why he decided to go that route. I do have a pic of pic of The big man with this set up some where in my huge collection of steadicam and non steadicam pics and articles some where...

BTW, C.P. hope all is well with you.