Steadican Jr vs FlowPod vs Glidecam Pro 2000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 7th, 2005, 06:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Steadican Jr vs FlowPod vs Glidecam Pro 2000

HI, I have a GL2 and looking for an affordable stablizer. Can anyone compare with the Steadicam Jr, Varizoom FlowPod and Glidecam Pro 2000? I want an easy to use, not too expensive. Thanks.
Alex Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 08:49 PM   #2
Wrangler

I feel that the Flowpod, while a clever 2 in 1 solution, ultimately compromises it's stabilizing ability and ergonomics when purely considered as a stabilizer. The Glidecam is a bit easier for most people to set up and is pretty bulletproof, but there have been many reports of specific problems with the gimbals which can adversely affect the photography. The JR does have a fairly involved initially balancing procedure and does requiring constant re-trimming (small tweaks of balance) but it is much easier to do so than on the other rigs. I feel that the most subtle operating can be achieved with this rig, of the three. For more action oriented shooting (running, music videos etc), the Glidecam is fine. If you need the flexibility of being able to switch over into monopod mode, the Flowpod may be good for you.
Old February 8th, 2005, 08:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Charles. I only got a chance to try the Glidecam Pro 2000, I felt that the set up time is pretty long and is not easy to balance well. Also it is very tired to hold it.

For the FlowPod, is the result can be good and smooth? Is is the easiest to use among all three? The monopod is not important to me. So I just need to know how the FlowPod perform in stablization.
Alex Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 10:21 AM   #4
Wrangler

I don't know the exact specs, but my impression is that the Flowpod is the heaviest (or feels the heaviest) of the three.
Old February 12th, 2005, 06:42 PM   #5
New Boot

$14 steady-cam

While searching for an economical steady-cam, I happened upon this young man's little innovative design at http://www.digitalmovie.com/Features001.htm.

Have any of you used this or know anyone who has, and if so ... how does it work?
Josiah Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2005, 09:26 PM   #6
Trustee

Re: $14 steady-cam

<<<-- Originally posted by Josiah Michael : While searching for an economical steady-cam, I happened upon this young man's little innovative design at http://www.digitalmovie.com/Features001.htm.

Have any of you used this or know anyone who has, and if so ... how does it work? -->>>

I think that you can buy this on ebay for US$48.99.

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)