Cody Designs Group Buy? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 29th, 2005, 04:40 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Hey Armando

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Leong : If you have such an incredible resource, why don't you concentrate as well on the two or three other areas that so far have been bottled up and sold very expensively?

a) dovetail camera support and 15mm support rods for

b) follow focus unit (with the ring that goes on the DVX lens), and

c) matte box/filter holder for 4x5.65 with and without anamorphic adaptor, wide angle adaptor, tele adaptor? (i.e. a series of plates for the back in 72mm, 4,25"x4.75" rectangular, etc)

These would be smaller, easier projects for your machinist friends and would be incredible to bring to the market (i.e us guys) for a reasonable price instead of the monopoly prices that are now being demanded.

Cheers
Chris -->>>

Where can I get the plans or samples? Do you have a website for all these parts?

Thanks
Armando Ferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 04:41 PM   #17
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Aaron Koolen : Good point Charles - why not simply donate the cost of the book from every order to Cody. So he gets his $50 or whatever it is from every order? Although, I have his book so I should get a discount :)

Aaron -->>>

Hi Aaron,

Why not buy a copy of steadicam, this way you donate money to the inventor?

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 04:45 PM   #18
Trustee

Re: Re: Hey Armando

<<<-- Originally posted by Armando Ferreira : <<<-- Originally posted by Chris Leong : If you have such an incredible resource, why don't you concentrate as well on the two or three other areas that so far have been bottled up and sold very expensively?

a) dovetail camera support and 15mm support rods for

b) follow focus unit (with the ring that goes on the DVX lens), and

c) matte box/filter holder for 4x5.65 with and without anamorphic adaptor, wide angle adaptor, tele adaptor? (i.e. a series of plates for the back in 72mm, 4,25"x4.75" rectangular, etc)

These would be smaller, easier projects for your machinist friends and would be incredible to bring to the market (i.e us guys) for a reasonable price instead of the monopoly prices that are now being demanded.

Cheers
Chris -->>>

Where can I get the plans or samples? Do you have a website for all these parts?

Thanks -->>>

My suggestion is that you need to respect others IP. You can't simply get it and make a copy of it and sell it.

Regards
Leigh
Old March 29th, 2005, 04:51 PM   #19
Trustee

I was only offering an option, seeing as the dilemma was raised. That is all.

I made my own dolly and I did not, and would not feel I had to donate some money to whoever it was that invented the dolly. If I made my own steadicam I wouldn't feel I needed to pay either Cody or Garret Brown - although I'd buy either of them some beer if I ever met them for doing something so cool :)

Out of interest, how does patent etc work on this stuff? I assumd Cody wasn't breaking any patent that Garret Brown had? Just interested.

Aaron
Old March 29th, 2005, 04:56 PM   #20
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Aaron Koolen : I was only offering an option, seeing as the dilemma was raised. That is all.

I made my own dolly and I did not, and would not feel I had to donate some money to whoever it was that invented the dolly. If I made my own steadicam I wouldn't feel I needed to pay either Cody or Garret Brown - although I'd buy either of them some beer if I ever met them for doing something so cool :)

Out of interest, how does patent etc work on this stuff? I assumd Cody wasn't breaking any patent that Garret Brown had? Just interested.

Aaron -->>>

Hi Aaron,

Me too.

I was only offering an option too. That is all.

Regards
Leigh
Old March 29th, 2005, 05:35 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Re: Re: Re: Hey Armando

<<<-- Originally posted by Leigh Wanstead : <<<-- Originally

My suggestion is that you need to respect others IP. You can't simply get it and make a copy of it and sell it.

Regards
Leigh -->>>

Uh... I take it you don't live in America? Not being disrespectful, but unless something DOES NOT HAVE A PATENT. You can do whatever you want with it. I have "copied" TONS of stuff before that is available to copy. I don't believe in infrigment on somebody's design and I respect it 100%. Again, the reason of this post is not to sell this. For those who know me personally I own a business and my partner has a manufacturing plant in CHINA. If your in Southern California and want to see our Massive warehouse of stuff that we manufacture swing by and I will give you directions. Do you know how much this thing will cost in CHINA to manufacture, I can SAFELY SAY under $200.00. Do you not think I can make this or STEADYCAM's DESIGNS and SLAM EVERYONE? That is not my purpose to do that, I have accounts that are worth millions of dollars and to be honest with you this is just PEANUTS. At the same time, we have relationships with manufactures here locally, my friend is one of them. I don't want to star a WAR, specially on something that I don't even know if it has a patent or not, basically the purpose of this threas was to gauge interest on a group buy for materials and labor parts that is all ONE TIME DEAL ONLY!

If it does have a patent PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD and forget it, I'll just have my guy build my personal one. If any of the manufactures that has a patent is reading this thread and wants to better their price E-mail me at wicked4u2c@aol.com so that way WE can build it for them and they can distribute it. Again, Im not here to ATTACK their market. At the same time if no patent exist I really can do whatever I want, or what I feel MORALLY is correct.

Aaron Koolen brought up something very important, he made a DOLLY should he give a royalty fee to the inventor? Are these things even patented, I have seen so many damn copies I am almost doubting it...?
Old March 29th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #22
Major Player

Armando

Just google "DVX follow focus" or "DVX matte box" and you'll come up with a lot of places that sell them.

And no, they're not patented, any more than an umbrella is patented.

I could design something for you but then we'd be in partnership, wouldn't we :-)

Cheers
Chris
Chris Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 06:06 PM   #23
Trustee

Armando, don't despair - the offer is appreciated and a lot of us are interested. Keep us informed!

Again, I'm interested to know if you're thinking of using the alternate arm that Cody has or the original one. Might be better to use the new arm if you're going to all this trouble and people are going to be paying the $$ for it.

Cheers
Aaron
Old March 29th, 2005, 06:30 PM   #24
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Aaron Koolen : Armando, don't despair - the offer is appreciated and a lot of us are interested. Keep us informed!

Again, I'm interested to know if you're thinking of using the alternate arm that Cody has or the original one. Might be better to use the new arm if you're going to all this trouble and people are going to be paying the $$ for it.

Cheers
Aaron -->>>

Yes, I will be using the NEW and Improved arm from his designs. I always tell myself this, if im going to do something im going to do it ALL THE WAY, a reason why I own the XL2 considering the projects I use it for, I could of gone with something less expensive Like panasonics camera, but I always go overboard. So yes, the new ARM design will be used.
Old March 29th, 2005, 11:54 PM   #25
New Boot

Hi Armando - This is my first post to this forum and I've was reading with interest your idea of pooling resources to create some reasonably priced rigs until the thread got a bit side tracked.

Back on topic. I would be very interested in being part of this as I am in need of a smooth ride for my XL2 without having to take out a second mortgage on mi casa. What a great resource to have a friend with a CNC machine shop. Getting the perfect parts is the major part of putting a rig like this together.

Not too many years ago I used to race radio controlled airplanes - I was a national competitor for over 12 years. These were extremely fast (150-200 mph) aircraft. Typically most of the planes I built were from plans I purchased for $25-50 from somebody. There were only a few dozen or less designs to begin with. All of these things were built using carbon fiber and fiberglass composites, special epoxies and glues, laser cut foam, etc. Wings especially, some 5-7 feet in span, had to be made with special expensive bakeable molds. THERE IS A POINT HERE. This stuff required such specialized equipment in order to produce it and there were only a few people that had that kind of gear. These people would make the parts based on the plans someone else made and sell the parts to the rest of us. But ONLY all the parts. They would NOT come assembled. The end user would have to buy the plans in order to see how the parts went together for themselves.

I'm slightly oversimplifying the process but in the form of a humble suggestion - why not just crank out all the parts and let the end user do all the assembly and tweaking. That would most certainly require the purchaser to buy the $35 book from Cody.

Moving off topic – The reason there are so many different designs and plans for stabilizer rigs out there is that the original Steadicam patent expired in 1997 allowing others to create and market their own version. In fact, if anyone’s interested Garrett Brown’s original patent drawings can be found here: http://www.intervalometers.com/resource/sc/index.stm.

Thank you again for your great offer, count me in. BTW – I’m heading over to Cody’s right now to get the book :)
K. Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 12:03 AM   #26
New Boot

Hello everyone. I just wanted to jump in here for a moment. First I want to thank my friend from Sweden for looking out for me (Hi Charles - do they say "SVEEDEN" over there?). I appreciate the concern. I'd also like to say hello again to Leigh. In regards to building your own dolly, yes many of us have done that. There are many different ways to build a dolly - and a stabilizer for that matter. Very few have taken the time and effort to document the entire process. Why? Because it is a lot of work. If Garrett Brown had sold plans that showed step-by-step how to recreate his invention and I then purchased those plans with the intent to mass produce a product from his design, then I think I have used him as my designer. This scenario is much different then taking the time and effort to come up with my own method. Garrett Brown did not design my stabilizer - I did.

Before I started production on my last feature, I went to great lengths to get a letter to my favorite author asking if she minded me using some of her ideas. Her writing had greatly influenced my screenplay, and even though I never plagerized, her influence was weaved throughout my story. I admired her greatly and wanted her blessing on the project. And her blessing I received.

Looking back, I now wish I had done the same with Garrett Brown.

Now about this building venture you all have going here - by all means go for it. And good luck to you Armando. The movie makers need to make movies and they want better equipment.

Go create - and respect each other in the process.

Cody

"I have no time for hate"
Cody Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 01:14 AM   #27
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Cody Deegan : Hello everyone. I just wanted to jump in here for a moment. First I want to thank my friend from Sweden for looking out for me (Hi Charles - do they say "SVEEDEN" over there?). I appreciate the concern. I'd also like to say hello again to Leigh. In regards to building your own dolly, yes many of us have done that. There are many different ways to build a dolly - and a stabilizer for that matter. Very few have taken the time and effort to document the entire process. Why? Because it is a lot of work. If Garrett Brown had sold plans that showed step-by-step how to recreate his invention and I then purchased those plans with the intent to mass produce a product from his design, then I think I have used him as my designer. This scenario is much different then taking the time and effort to come up with my own method. Garrett Brown did not design my stabilizer - I did.

Before I started production on my last feature, I went to great lengths to get a letter to my favorite author asking if she minded me using some of her ideas. Her writing had greatly influenced my screenplay, and even though I never plagerized, her influence was weaved throughout my story. I admired her greatly and wanted her blessing on the project. And her blessing I received.

Looking back, I now wish I had done the same with Garrett Brown.

Now about this building venture you all have going here - by all means go for it. And good luck to you Armando. The movie makers need to make movies and they want better equipment.

Go create - and respect each other in the process.

Cody

"I have no time for hate" -->>>

Cody, thanks for replying to this thread. I was going to contact you anyway, but I guess you came in first. Again, my intentions were not to sabatoge your business, which is why I have respect. I felt it wasn't a big deal, and some felt it was a big deal. But by you coming here and saying "go for it" makes it a more peaceful situation. Again, this is a ONE TIME DEAL. I don't want to sell these and be another "stabilizer" company. With all this cleared up now it is safe to say that I will find out final pricing soon and see if their is still interest. I don't plan on making money, just cover the material cost, a bit of my friend time (not mine) and of course shipping. I am doing this to help the community out a bit. So look out for a thread coming soon with pricing and information

Thanks again Cody for coming here.
Old March 30th, 2005, 01:16 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Feature summary?

I've scoured Cody's site and this site and could not find any rundown on the features.

How does this unit compare with a Glidecam? A DVRigPro?

Would this unit work well in tight spaces or crowded locations such as wedding receptions?
David Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 01:33 AM   #29
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Clark : These people would make the parts based on the plans someone else made and sell the parts to the rest of us. But ONLY all the parts. They would NOT come assembled. The end user would have to buy the plans in order to see how the parts went together for themselves.

I'm slightly oversimplifying the process but in the form of a humble suggestion - why not just crank out all the parts and let the end user do all the assembly and tweaking. That would most certainly require the purchaser to buy the $35 book from Cody.

Thank you again for your great offer, count me in. BTW – I’m heading over to Cody’s right now to get the book :) -->>>

I totally agree with Kevin here. Although Cody has already jumped in and given his blessing to this undertaking, I was going to suggest the same thing as Kevin did. Everyone buys their own copy of Cody's book, which is all he sells anyway. Armando's source becomes just that, a source of parts for people to build from. In fact, this might even BOOST sales of Cody's book if folks know there is a readily available supply of precision machined parts to assemble his excellent design from.

Cody, if you happen to read this, I think you might want to get with Armando and see about adding his source to your list of suggested parts sources. Taking some of the pain out of assembling the stabilizer and using precision machined parts would lead to higher success rates.

I too, am interested, Armando because I have Cody's book but haven't built my rig yet.

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 01:46 AM   #30
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Greg Boston : <<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Clark : These people would make the parts based on the plans someone else made and sell the parts to the rest of us. But ONLY all the parts. They would NOT come assembled. The end user would have to buy the plans in order to see how the parts went together for themselves.

Thank you again for your great offer, count me in. BTW – I’m heading over to Cody’s right now to get the book :) -->>>

I totally agree with Kevin here. Although Cody has already jumped in and given his blessing to this undertaking, I was going to suggest the same thing as Kevin did. Everyone buys their own copy of Cody's book, which is all he sells anyway. Armando's source becomes just that, a source of parts for people to build from. In fact, this might even BOOST sales of Cody's book if folks know there is a readily available supply of precision machined parts to assemble his excellent design from.

Cody, if you happen to read this, I think you might want to get with Armando and see about adding his source to your list of suggested parts sources. Taking some of the pain out of assembling the stabilizer and using precision machined parts would lead to higher success rates.

I too, am interested, Armando because I have Cody's book but haven't built my rig yet.

regards,

-gb- -->>>

Sounds fair, and we are all HAPPY!

Im excited now about this project. Cody what's your E-mail?
Armando Ferreira is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)