Merlin & Canon 5D Mark II Balance Issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old October 4th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #1
Tourist

Merlin & Canon 5D Mark II Balance Issues

So I have this original signature series Merlin which I upgraded to the Metal Gimbal. The plastic one had too much friction and I could adjust the horizon simply by orienting my hand. I have found the metal gimbal to be much better...however....

I can balance the Merlin fore and aft just fine with the 5D but the side to side is causing me problems. I am using mounting hole "M" which allows me to get the battery out but this requires me to trim the side to side almost to its max extent. "N" is more natural but has the dovetail plate blocking battery access. I am using a 17-40mm L Zoom on the body.

The problem is that once I balance it successfully it won't stay balanced when I start flying it. In fact...once its perfect on a table top...all I have to do is just wiggle my hand alittle and it drifts of level. If I balance it and then do a drop test (1.5 Secs or so ) the resulting balance is off in the direction of the previous drop test.

I figured this might be the camera moving so I put a rubber base between the body and the stage and cranked it down really tight. Seems to be quite immobile when I try and play with it. You can't use the locating pin with the 5D. However...same issue....

I also notice that my new Metal Gimbal has some every so subtle play in it when I simply move the handle up and down.....but its really small. Not sure what tolerance is expected but the movement has to be millimeters ...if that.

Has anyone else experienced similar things ?

Regards,

Graham
Graham Thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #2
Tourist

Update

So, despite the fact that Hole "N" on the Dovetail plate requires me to remove the plate to change the battery....I re-balanced the rig using that hole. Therefore rather than trimming almost to the extreme side to side, the Stage is more centred in both axis.

The result is that the balance is much more persistent. There appears to be an inherent non-linearity in the thread screw mechanism which makes the balance harder to maintain when the adjustment rollers approach their maximum travel.

Not sure why this should be so.....but at least I can work the rig now.
Graham Thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 12:24 AM   #3
Trustee

what lens are you flying? Make sure the lens is in the same focal lens if it is a zoom.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 05:08 AM   #4
Tourist

Lens Used

I am using a Canon 17-40mm L Series Lens set to 40 mm autofocus off.
Graham Thomsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)