Ouch! (and Help!) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old October 28th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Ouch! (and Help!)

I loaned out my 2nd gen. Flyer to a very good friend that is an experienced Steadicam OP (he flys a Pro II rig, just like mine except I use the Pro arm), for a show that was using the EX3, and he tripped on a running shot.

He is fine (and that's what really matters), and there were enough people around to catch both him, my Flyer, and the cam, except the battery cube hit the ground HARD and is now history. The metal bracket itself is apparently OK.

I had a double Anton Bauer mount on it (had being the key word). When I got the Flyer, it had an IDX mount that I changed over to AB. I still have that IDX setup, but no IDX or V-Mount batteries.

I also have several Anton Bauer battery plates, but if I remember correctly, the mounting holes are not the same as the IDX plate. I also have a Sony AC-DN10 V-Mount charger.

What's my best approach to getting power to the Flyer with my AB batteries? Adapter plate (do they even work?), or should I just get some IDX or other brand V-Mount batteries (and will they charge with that Sony charger?).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated!
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #2
Major Player

This might work.

Anton/Bauer - The Worldwide Standard
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks!

Bob,

That was the "adapter" I was referring to.

I originally purchased two of these from B&H before finding the Flyer AB block (from a Flyer 24) I was using. The adapters had a big decal on the back that stated it was not for use on cameras (the instructions referred to a Sony recorder), but this appears to be an updated model that will work.

Thanks a mil!

BTW, the AB Dionic 90HC attached to the power block got scratched up, but is fine otherwise. Gotta love AB equipment.

I solved their problem for tomorrow's shoot (I hope). I am dropping off the IDX block and 4 Sony BP-GL65 V-mount batteries I received on some kind of promotion along with that Sony charger. Since they are about a year old and have never been taken out to the box (null charge), I'm thinking they should work after being charged. Opinions?

And Bob, actually thanks a bil! Great find for me!
Old October 29th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

My 2nd gen Flyer is V-lock with A/B adapters. Can't see a model number, but no caution sticker either. I bought my rig used and it came with the adapters. They work fine.

If you call Michael Craigs at Steadicam in Glendale he may be able to sell you whatever parts you need to repair/replace your existing battery paddle. Or call your regional Steadicam sales rep. I know that Peter Abraham is very Flyer-savvy.
Mark Schlicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #5
Major Player

You bet Enzo,
The reason that I knew about the adapter is that I use it on my Sony PDW-F350, since I already had AB batteries. It has worked fine and is a nice tight fit. Now I can use either in a pinch.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks all!

Anton Bauer overnighted me two of those adapters. It appears that the original ones I had (may not have been the same model number at that time) were for a dedicated Sony deck.

These updated adapters even pass the battery information to the camera, nice touch.

Thank you all for the help!

Now, not to hijack my own thread, but when I went to drop off the battery paddle with newly snapped on AB plates, all the Flyer equipment was in the case correctly, except the vest. My friend had cleverly zipped it up inside a coat. He said he could not figure out how to get the vest in the case. Good point. Putting the entire Flyer back into the soft case IS a challenge.

The bottom part of the case is pretty self explanatory (because of the cutouts), but you do have to loosen the battery panel and monitor for it to fit. I also manage to store a toolkit, a battery operated work light (Cibie, made for the handle bar on a bike, fits the stand perfectly), an Anton Bauer twin charger and three Dionic 90 batteries, knee pads, wireless video transmitter, and at times, a wireless follow focus setup (and it all fits).

The top of the case is the real challenge, I keep the arm in the black felt bag it came in, and disassemble the vest. I place the back part of the vest in first, breast plate next, place the arm on top of that, put the stand next to the arm, then place the front of the vest over and around the arm and stand.

I have a little rubber furniture leg rubber thinghy over the top stud on the stand, and have the stand stored in a Gitzo soft bag Gitzo | GC200X660A0 8x26" Anti-Dust Bag, | GC200X660A0 so it plays nice with the rest of the equipment.

Does anybody here do it differently, faster, better?

And how do you cart the case around (I use a luggage dolly)?
Old October 30th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Man you pack alot in that case but I'll bet you've still got room for that peanut butter and jelly sandwich too. ;-)
Old October 31st, 2009, 11:24 AM   #8
Regular Crew

P'nut butter & jelly...

Ah,

The glue that holds the system together :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)