Focus on a stedicam:auto? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 3rd, 2010, 04:13 PM   #1
Trustee

Focus on a stedicam:auto?

Hi guys i met a DOP that suggested to use alway the auto settings on the focus when using the steadicam.
What are your opinions?
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Wrangler

If a camera has autofocus, it's going to have 1/2" chips or smaller. In this instance, you are better off setting it at the hyperfocal for a given shot and working within those parameters. The smaller the chip, the easier this is as there is greater depth of field. Autofocus might work for specific shots, but I would be wary of it searching/hunting and making things worse. Best to try a take and play it back on a good sized monitor to ensure that it is doing the right thing.

The fact of the matter is that so many people are using DSLR's and 35mm adaptors these days that the in-and-out of focus look is becoming "sexy", lord help us. So a little momentary buzz doesn't seem to have the stigma that it once had. One must be careful with autofocus that unexpected things don't derail your efforts, like walls and doorways and foreground elements. The last thing you want is to discover in the edit suite that the focus is in the wrong place and no-one knew it.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
If a camera has auto focus, it's going to have 1/2" chips or smaller.
Right. When I fly these types of cameras, I:
• Never use Auto Focus.
• Frequently use Auto Iris.
• Never use Image Stabilization (OIS).
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:17 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I hear rumor that there will be some nice electronic focus tools for the Canon DvSLRs before long. That's part of why I've started a home built steady rig project. If the rumors are true (I have no inside info), it could be less expensive to buy an electronic focus control than a good quality mechanical follow focus. Could be sweet!
Old January 4th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'd add that some cameras' autofocus are particularly slow...the HVX200 is notoriously laggy in the 720P modes. This can absolutely clobber your attempts to keep focus with that technique. I've seen that concept fail spectacularly on a jib. The 200 can hunt for focus for a second or more sometimes!

But even if it were snappy, you'd still have the problem of always having to keep your main subject in the center of frame, lest the autofocus find something else it wants to place in focus. Recipe for boring composition...a classic tail wagging the dog.

The advice Charles gives is the technique I generally use. I light to a fairly fat stop, and either set the lens to the hyperfocal distance, or center the focus on the range of distances in which the talent will be working during the shot (2/3 of the DOF behind the subject, 1/3 in front.)
Mark Schlicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:02 AM   #6
Trustee

Hola , in my case the camera is a Sony Z1....so what are your recomendations?

thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)