Using 12-14lbs cameras on the Flyer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old July 1st, 2005, 10:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Using 12-14lbs cameras on the Flyer

Has anyone had any experience using cameras of this weight on the Flyer and if so is there any issue's because of the weight.
The reason l ask is that even using my PD170 on the Flyer l've had a few close calls with the tightening screw for the sled not holding the sled in place when l thought it was tight enough as well with the allen bolt that tightens the hand grip on the shaft. My main concern is if the PD170 can be enough to make both of these tightening elements fail when l thought they wouldn't are they going to be able to take force put on them when doing drop tests with a camera in the 12-14lbs range?

AP
Andrew Pascoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 12:03 AM   #2
Major Player

I (and others i know) have flown the FLyer to teh very top of it's specifide weight range without trouble. It shoudl be able to handle it.

If the gimble is slippin gon the post, be sure to tighten that allen nut all the way. ..of course be carefull not to over tighter, you dont' want ot break something. If you are sure you have it tight enoguh and it is still sliping, there is somethign wrong. - make sure your post is clean and doesnt' have anything (liek water, grease, etc..) on it.

The sled fore-aft lockign knob should also hodl the plate in place in all positions when fully tightened. If it doesn't, again there coudl be a problem. note that I have noticed that this knob can sometimes work itself loose, i make a habit of periodilcy checking it whever i check trim between shots or if i'm resting. - Dont' forget that if this lock does fail, the safty stops will still hold the camera on the sled.

Never the less, when adjusting and holding (paticularly the heavier cameras) at od angles with various parts losened, it's always a good idea to keep you hands somewhere close under the rig...just in case.

- Mikko
Old July 2nd, 2005, 04:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Mikko l just wanted to check with other operators. I got to see the safety stop do it's job today, l was doing some practise today and after adjusting the fore & aft for tilt going down stairs the PD170 flew forward on the sled and l s**t myself but really it was probably just an operator error. so thanks again for wisdom.

Thanks AP
Andrew Pascoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 03:36 PM   #4
Major Player

one of those *whew* moments huh? :-)

- Mikko

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)