Glidecam X-22 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old February 12th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #1
Trustee

Glidecam X-22

I just bought one. I have it on its C-stand right now, and I'm marvelling at it! How can a piece of engineering do this to me?
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:31 AM   #2
Major Player

Ok, get a hotel room. ;) Congrats. Enjoy it well until your next upgrade.
Old February 15th, 2010, 04:15 AM   #3
Major Player

Thought you decided on a flyer! what happened?
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 04:28 AM   #4
Trustee

Yep, I ping ponged back and forth more times than a table tennis match. But I was made an offer that I couldn't refuse.

Glidecam have come a long way. If this was a few years ago I wouldn't have made this decision, but the new rig is very good indeed. I'd much rather get my practise in with the X-22 using it on in house productions and then consider a larger rig later on.

The X-22 appears to have more adjustment for dynamic balance since both the fore and aft of the sled base can be slid back and forth. The arm also appears to be very well made (though still appears to have some of the springiness that Charles mentioned in his round up). The X-22 can also support more weight (the arm is actually rated up to 30lbs, even though the sled can't go that high).

So far I am very happy, both with the performance and the price. I just need to practice one heck of a lot more!
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:42 AM   #5
Major Player

Very happy with my X-22 as well. I operated the X-22 with my ~23 lb Redrock-Equipped EX1 rig for two days during our December workshop with Charles. I definitely see some of the advantages that the Steadicam rigs have over the X-22, but as a first-time operator the weight capacity, price and features of the X-22 certainly outweighed the current Steadicam offerings, and I have no regrets about my purchase. Yes, the arm is a tad bit springy, but seems to operate very smoothly when properly set up. Again, the Steadicam rigs are unmatched when it comes to their iso-elastic arms and frictionless gimbals, but the GC X-22 sure does come close. Hoping to see a refresh of the Flyer at or around NAB this year - that REALLY is a nice rig, but the lack of sled adjustments is a bummer. I agree, Simon, the sliding plates on the sled sure make for easier dynamic balancing - that's what I was doing on my 1D Mark IV rig tonight!

A couple of pix of my X-22 rig with the 1D Mark IV - been working hard to configure this for a shoot next week!

Flickr Photo Download: Canon 1D Mark IV + Glidecam X-22

Flickr Photo Download: Canon 1D Mark IV + Redrock Components + Glidecam X-22

Flickr Photo Download: Canon 1D Mark IV + Redrock Components + Glidecam X-22
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Simon, you'd better update your web site re buying an X-22, on there, you say you've decided to go for the Steadicam Flyer !

Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #7
Trustee

Good point! I thought I had. Clearly been messing around with it too much!
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)