Single Take Music Video 7D. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 20th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Single Take Music Video 7D.

.. and my first music video as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jb_G2brpwM - HD Version

Steadicam Pilot - Canon 7D w/ Tokina 11-16.. Ran the lens at 16mm, f6.3. ISO 2000.

Learnt a lot of things on this video, 1 - Frame guides.. tape some on!

The rig weighed nothing and had a drop time of about 1.5 seconds, however the whole thing was so last minute i had no time to get a weight plate made.. something that is on the cards right now.

Its amazing how slow it looks on playback.. i remember running a lot faster.

I started the setup in missionary as she walks onto the stage and came around the band. Switched right before she leaves the mic and we go down the stairs.. steep little bastards those were.

Don Juan all the way down the stairs to the bench with the girl on it. Switched back to missionary here.

And then backwards missionary for the rest of the video... fun times.

I really wish i could have gone wider in places but the artist would not allow me to shoot anything wider than an MCU... oh well.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited by Joe Lawry; March 21st, 2010 at 04:40 AM.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 07:46 AM   #2
Tourist

major kudos for that one take... I am amazed.
Jon Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:09 AM   #3
Trustee

Nice job for a one take! How was the lighting handled? Did you have an asst that run with the lights? They looked pretty consistant on the face of the lady..
Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:52 AM   #4
Wrangler

Really nice Joe. It's not easy after all these years to come up a creative Steadicam one-take music video but I've never seen the use of night exterior used this way, with figures coming in and out of the inky blackness. I like the streak effect too, it's subtle but interesting. Operating looks good!
Old March 22nd, 2010, 03:12 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the comments, Especially you Charles, means a lot!

I had a lighting assist holding an ARRI 650 diffed up walking behind me.. cant even remember how they powered it.

A few horizon issues in places but i've gotten over that, the biggest thing i dont like is the looking room at the end of the final circle around the garden, but oh well, i'll learn from it, longest shot i've ever done.

Yea im still not sure on the streak effect, the director also did the treatment on it in After Effects, so that was all him.

The lens flares are real though! i love the Tokina 11-16.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 05:34 PM   #6
Major Player

Nice work Joe!

Nicely composed and choreographed.
Greg Chisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 02:33 AM   #7
Major Player

So focus was set to the distance you were from the singer for the duration? No remote focusing I assume? Pretty nuts... great job on the shooting...
Scott Shama is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)