The green Flyer LE & LE RED at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old June 21st, 2010, 09:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The green Flyer LE & LE RED

OK I give up.

GREEN to be seen!

I have tried several combinations of LCD monitors on my Flyers (the RED LE has the 700 nit HD monitor as standard), and nothing works well in direct full-on sunlight.

Now, most SteadiOps that have been doing it for some time, can pretty much do a shot without a monitor at all once they set the frame, so being "blind" for a few seconds really doesn't bother me. That's the same reason I always ask the DP (if I am not also DP'ing the show), what lens he/she has up, so if it's a two cam shot, I know to stay clear of the other camera's frame.

I have a Marshall Super Transflective that I use as an outdoor monitor on my HD cams, and it's a fine monitor when viewed dead on in full-on sunlight, but off-axis, it stinks. Ditto the Hummingbird.

Recently a director friend had me shoot a day of tests on a new feature film he is working, and the setup was in the CA desert. He had gennys, HMIs, large scrims, etc. But for me, just full on sun about 90% of the time.

I went with the Flyer LE instead of my GPI Pro II because he was using one of the new lightweight HD cams for this series of tests, and I have been leaning more to using the LE/LE RED with the lighter cams because the LE arm is so very close to the GPI arm in its action, but the 700 nit HD monitor was utterly useless 75% of the time when in full-on sunlight.

So, looking through my stable of P-43 monitors, I picked one once used on one of my Master Elite rigs. It weights 5lbs 3.5oz, is 4:3/16:9 switchable, and has the later style plastic housing. I have the Marell bracket on it instead of the stock half-moon bracket it came with.

The other choice was the 7lbs 2oz unit off of the Master Film rig I used to have (5", 16:9 tube format, metal housing). The LE RED monitor weights in a 2lbs 4oz

I am mating the Elite P-43 monitor to the Flyer LE & LE RED, but just for full-on sun shoots. In a studio situation, I will continue to use the LCD monitors furnished with both.

So far, I have the proper adapter cable (thanks Terry West!), and if you look at the attached photo, I am looking to have a shorter monitor bracket made up. My machine shop guru retired last year, and I am looking for suggestions on getting a new bracket built.

As it stands now, if you look at the photo, the sled is back end heavy (I let it swing back and forth freely then took the photo when it can to rest), and slightly tilted to the right (but this may be due to my hand set).

I put the HyTRON batteries up, and moved the battery paddle up as well because I assumed I would be overweight on the monitor end. That turned out not to be the case, so with a shorter monitor arm, and Dionics, I should be able to do a dynamic balance with no problem.

I would appreciate any input, thoughts, or suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails
The green Flyer LE & LE RED-flyerle_p43.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)