Merlin-type support v. Fig Rig - your experience - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old August 30th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Philip,

I already have a Manfrotto 562B monopod which is great & a real Steadicam Merlin but TBH the Merlin requires a lot of fiddling about to use (not to mention it's incredibly tiring on the back & arms unless you suit up in the arm & vest) & as I only ever use it for shots of a few seconds I could get away with flying any cheap Steadicam knock-off that was not very well balanced or stable for a short time. For long takes the Merlin would be great but requires a more experienced operator than me to do it justice.

Thanks for your realism to temper my enthusiasm for yet another gadget:-) I would still like to hear from anyone who has handled one of these Steddiepods.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #17
Trustee

Nigel, so would I, not least because Manfrotto make a version with little feet but looks more basic - and why do you need a fluid head (which sounds very un-fluid when Barber describe it as "with springs") on a monopod? Manfrotto do one of those too but the guy at Calumet couldn't explain how it might be used.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #18
Inner Circle

My Manfrotto monopod is the one with 3 little feet & has a fluid head that works only in the vertical plane i.e. it's used for tilting. The monopod pivots on a ball & socket joint that attaches the 3 little feet & above that there is a fluid damped joint that allows one to pan quite smoothly.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 07:04 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

The SteddiePod feet are completely different to a monopods tiny little fold out feet!!! My Benro Pod also had tiny feet which allow you to keep the pod vertical but one would not dare put a camera on it!! Mine has the little feet removed and I have added a mic stand base to the bottom which gives me decent stability. Also you can use it as a sorta stedicam!!! Each leg has counter-balance weights at the very ends of the tube to provide some stability and with a simple swivel grip (a piece of PVC irrigation tube) you can run around with it.

There are a couple of demo movies on YouTube as well.

Chris
Attached Images

Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)