Steadicam Zephyr-upgrade changes - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:59 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
Hi Nigel, how was your impression of the Scout since you have experience with the Pilot? I have one on order with no news of it arriving yet.
My only previous Steadicam experience has been with the Merlin so my opinion isn't that of an expert. During the course of the weekend workshop I used the Pilot, Scout & Zephyr & all felt great. As I recall the Scout & Zephyr use the same arm but have different sleds. I think that it was actually an extra Zephyr vest that we were using with the Scout. They all felt great. If I had the money I would buy the Zephyr as that just felt the most stable & easiest to fly but that may just have been because it had the heaviest camera load. The Scout was straightforward to do both static & dynamic balance & worked great. It is the same top notch quality & engineering as the others & I am sure that you will be very happy with it.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:48 AM   #47
Trustee

Thks Nigel, I hope i would be able to try the Scout next weekend at the Eastern Classic. Looking forward to it!
Old November 23rd, 2010, 06:31 PM   #48
Wrangler

I've been in touch with my pals at Tiffen and will likely be going in next week to explore the new rigs. Look for an article here at DVinfo.net shortly thereafter.
Old November 24th, 2010, 03:59 AM   #49
Regular Crew

That would be great Charles, when you do, would you mind putting a note on this thread? I keep forgetting that DVinfo is more than just this forum!. Most of us should then be notified of the article.
Chris Tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 05:16 AM   #50
Regular Crew

Just started a new thread on this, but thought I better put it here as well to conclude this one...for those who haven't heard zephyr has finally shipped. More details when it arrives ( on new thread)
Old December 31st, 2010, 12:01 PM   #51
Wrangler

Unfortunately Tiffen had a holdup at the factory and they don't have any demo units for me to review (they are all going out the door right now) so I wasn't able to review the Zephyr and Scout as hoped. By the time I would be able to with my schedule, there will probably be a bunch of user reviews out there so it may not be worth it for me to do. Maybe. We'll see.
Old December 31st, 2010, 03:32 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Charles, I can't think of any circumstances where your review would not be highly valued. Please go for it whenever you can.
Old December 31st, 2010, 06:49 PM   #53
Wrangler

Haha, thanks. I guess the point is a good one--anyone who has already ordered doesn't really need the review, but for those waiting to see (and hear), it would be worthwhile to gather opinions.

We were planning an "exclusive" preview/review. You know how the web is--the first one out the gate gets the hits. Sadly so many of the "firsts" are poorly shot test videos or, god help me, unboxing videos. I was hoping to pre-empt all of the above.
Old January 1st, 2011, 12:12 AM   #54
Major Player

Hey Charles,

I think the quality of the review matters more than being first. Most people value your opinion over anyone else. I would love see you review the Zephyr and Scout, especially the unboxing video ;)
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 01:17 AM   #55
Trustee

Although i have decided to go for the Zephyr, i m still hoping to see your review Charles! Anyway, i was fortunate enuf to have a go at the Zephyr (production) in early Dec during the Eastern Classic. The flyer arm and zephyr arm is indeed different. Zephyr is sightly bigger. The prototype sled and production sled has some differences in the locking mechanisms as well and a different monitor.

I decided to go for it from the Scout after my test (there was no scout there, i just liked the way the Zephyr handled) so you know what i feel about it already. Am hoping to do one review myself once i get it in early Feb.

Tiffen is fulfilling all the pre orders currently. Have fun Chris !!
Old January 3rd, 2011, 03:47 PM   #56
Regular Crew

Thanks Sean, I 'm sure I will.
What we may end up with are 2 types of reviews.

Firstly the review Charles gives us based on vast experience and the highest level of skill aimed at current operators. Secondly from newbies like me who have no idea of what they are doing but can share their thoughts (and trepidation) on what it's like to use one of these things out of the box, but sparing us all the unboxing bit!! The latter would help those considering taking the big step to stabilizers. Poles apart perspectives, but both highly valuable in totally different ways.

By the way, sorry I started the new thread now, looks like we're continuing on here anyway!
Old January 6th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #57
Major Player

Charles,

Your review on the pilot was one of the reasons why I purchased one! Very professional and showed what type of results were possible with the rig. Definitely saved me a bunch of cash over the flyer LE ;). Would LOVE to see/read a review from you! There's something to be said when the review comes from an authority in the steadicam community due to the sheer amount of experience and insight that can be used as a comparison.

Cheers,
Randy
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #58
Regular Crew

I'm daydreaming about a Charles Papert Zephyr unboxing video....
Mark Schlicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #59
Regular Crew

Just back from Sydney after a Steadicam workshop and brought home my new zephyr. I guess this is where the hard work begins!
Old February 4th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #60
Regular Crew

I've had many people contact me privately about why I haven't made any comments on my new zephyr yet.

The fact is, my last entry didn't tell the whole story, I should have said "I brought home most of my new zephyr" as to this day I still don't have the complete unit, (there was an issue) Apparently I will have an operational zephyr "next Thursday or Friday" but I will let you know if that is the case or not. I wasn't going to go into the detail with people here but the more I look back at the last 10 months I think some prospective buyers might have an interest in the process I've been through and hopefully airing it all will make it smoother for others.

There will be too much to go through here, so I am currently working on a blog:
"Buying a steadicam zephyr the hard way-a personal view of a long journey."

and will post a link to it in the next few days.
Chris Tangey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)