Another single taker.. well almost at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 13th, 2010, 04:42 AM   #1
Major Player

Another single taker.. well almost

YouTube - Shihad - Ignite HD Web.mov

Steadicam Pilot, Canon 5D with a 16mm lens, 1080 25p with a post slow down by 50%.

Im a bit gutted about the cut at the end but i see 100% why the director did it.. we were meant to originally end on a close up of the girl and not fly back out of the building.

Watch it in HD and enjoy.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 05:38 AM   #2
New Boot

Great Steadicam work Joe! Perfect framing. Congratulations. It would be great to see a picture of the Pilot/5D configuration you have used. Have you achieved the max Pilot load?
Thanks
Amedeo
Old November 14th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #3
Wrangler

Excellent operating Joe. Very impressive horizons for a Pilot.

I wouldn't be gutted about the last cut. Your shot remains intact. Can't think of how many times we've struggled to shoot elaborate one'rs and then the final result gets chopped into little pieces. This one was a win.
Old November 14th, 2010, 11:21 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lawry View Post
YouTube - Shihad - Ignite HD Web.mov

Steadicam Pilot, Canon 5D with a 16mm lens, 1080 25p with a post slow down by 50%.

Im a bit gutted about the cut at the end but i see 100% why the director did it.. we were meant to originally end on a close up of the girl and not fly back out of the building.

Watch it in HD and enjoy.
Nice work Joe.

3.2 aspect ratio - that's a pretty extreme crop! but it's effective for the piece. And the color-grade is nicely done too.

Tell me... now if the whole this was slowed down to 50% then ...the singer who comes into-shot at around 1m42secs, he must have been lip-synching to that song being played during that take at double-speed? So that when it's slowed down to 50% in post, then his lips synch to the song when it's played back at normal speed in the final edit? am i right on that?
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 02:12 AM   #5
Major Player

thanks for the comments guys, especially you Charles, feedback like that made my day!

turns out the cut was made due to the client wanting it.. not the director.. the director was very against the whole thing.. but, clients are clients and are paying the bills.

I have posted a bit more information up on the steadicam forum, under the Journals section for those interested.

Stu, yup playback was double time.. which made my work a lot easier.. if i had been moving that slow it would have been veeeerryy hard with such a lightweight rig!

Amedeo - Pilot was closeish to full weight. Heres a pic -

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/phot...KPW%2FYCpuY%3D
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 02:42 PM   #6
Trustee

absolutely amazing, and for the pilot and 5D setup it's just unbelievable,
can't see the pic though
Old November 26th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Not only great horizons, but smart and effective compositions, smooth motion paths with no weave or bounce. Really impressive work!
Mark Schlicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Class act there, Joe..........

Extremely impressed.

Great flying.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #9
Major Player

Big rigs...who needs big rigs. (OK, we still need them but this is so good). Excellent work and it's great that we can view it so easily. A few years ago we'd have to see this in a theater.

How's the project going Charles?

Tery

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)