Stabilizer for Canon XH-A1... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 2nd, 2010, 12:09 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Stevens View Post
My budget is under <$500. Let me know what you think the best stabilizer may be for my particular camera and budget.
Camera Motion Research Blackbird Camera Stabilizer
$449
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/684665-REG/Camera_Motion_Research_BB100_Blackbird_Camera_Stabilizer.html
Charles did a short review here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/article/produc...r-wrap-up.html
(toward the bottom of the page)
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Well, regarding the Spiderbrace... first, it's a shoulder brace and not a Steadicam rig.

And yes, PVC. But it's cheap, lightweight, well-balanced, works fine with my HVX200, disassembles to put in my camera bag, and my Varizoom control mounts nicely to the right-side handle. And it's painted so it doesn't look like PVC. You do have to baby it a little bit while storing/transporting, don't let the grips throw it in the bottom of the truck.

I've looked at several over-complicated, overweight, overpriced ridiculous monstrosities that cost hundreds or thousands more and don't even work as well as the Spiderbrace.

I'm a professional cameraman, I'll go with function over looks everytime. I don't care what the rig looks like, as long as it helps me get great shots. But it must help me get better shots or it doesn't stay in my kit. My Spiderbrace one of the best $85 I've spent for the documentary work I do. Ideal? No. But it gets my personal bang-for-the-buck award.

As for a Steadicam, to the OP: save your money and buy a Merlin or Pilot, if you're serious. Nothing compares in its class, it's well worth the investment. Watch for a used one to save money. Steal from your lighting budget and rent/borrow lights if you need to.

And be prepared to practice a lot. Having a guitar doesn't mean you can play, blah, blah, etc. All true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Houston View Post
It's a PVC mount that frankly ain't worth the $85 (With Shipping). I doubt I'll ever use it.
Mark Schlicher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)