some advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old April 18th, 2011, 05:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

some advice

hi all

i recently purchased the flycam nano dslr from ebay and have started to use it, but have come across a problem, i'm not sure if its lack of experience or a actual problem with the stabilizer, but when i move with my dslr, it kind of spins around and not focused straight, what is the cause of this problem? lack of weight maybe

any advice would be appreciated.

regards
Old April 18th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: some advice

are you trying to operate with one hand, if yes any unit will spin around, what's the drop time, is it well balanced, DSLRs are tricky to balance on steadicam,
I don't think it's stabilizer problem, as long as bearings are not rusty :) you can get a decent static balance out of any, even home built unit, dynamic balance will show all imperfections of design, but you always get what you're paying for:)
Old April 18th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Ismail

Normally your right hand will control the sled position up and down and then your left hand needs to be just below the gimbal (just thumb and 3 fingers VERY lightly on the shaft to control pan and tilt) If the drop time of the sled is not at least 2 seconds you will also struggle so static balance needs to be the very first thing you do!!!

Overload the bottom weights slightly to start off and get the camera positioned so the post is vertical and stays vertical if swung (like a pendulum) Then lift the bottom of the sled to horizontal and allow it to swing right thru vertical ....you need to reduce the weight until the drop time between horizontal and vertical is between 2 and 3 seconds. It's best to have the handle fixed to a stand of some sort to do this BTW!!!

My 5500 comes with a docking stand but you could use a tripod with the nano BUT weight it down with sandbags so it doesn't tip over and ruin an expensive camera.

Also look thru YouTube and find videos on "balancing a steadicam" ...that will get you started!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks all for the precious advice, i really appreciate it, i will follow up your advices and will let you know how i got along.

regards

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)